Go Down

Topic: atmega1284 programming from a 328 chip (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

malc-c

Jan 25, 2013, 09:04 am Last Edit: Jan 25, 2013, 09:06 am by malc-c Reason: 1
Lets see if this works

ignore the ISP connections, I've just used the serial connection shown

and yes I've tried DTR connected via the 0.1uf capacitor, and without - It doesn't get that far to reset the chip

Frisky

Hi Crossroads
  Could I use my JTAGICE that has a ISP 6pin connector to program a bootloader into a ATMega1284p?
Would I use the Aduino IDE or AVR Studio 4.18?
  How does this chip fair as an Arduino say with the SPI system for the W5100 ethernet controller.
I ordered a few of these from Mouser. I also have a STK500 also I could use with a 16Mhz crystal too.
Don

CrossRoads

I don't know what is involved with using JTAGICE to program via ISP. This came up in another thread recenly, outlook was not good.
I use Atmel AVR ISP MKii myself, thru the IDE.  Have to find the IDE driver here for it:

Its an 8-bit AVR, so would fair as well as the others for W5100 ethernet controller.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

cyclegadget

@malc-c

What FTDI are you using? Also, it is possible you have the RX and TX swapped. It will not hurt anything to try swapping those leads.

malc-c

@malc-c

What FTDI are you using? Also, it is possible you have the RX and TX swapped. It will not hurt anything to try swapping those leads.

It's a sparkfun FT232 Brakeout board.  It worked fine with the original 328P, and I've also tried swapping the TX and RX lines over.  I get pulses on the TX / LX leds, its as if the software is sending a request to upload the data, but not receiving the Ok to send it.  I'll strip the breadboard and re-wire it just in case I've missed something (I seem to remember I had a similar issue with the 328P until I tied one of the voltage reference pins to supply.)

Go Up