Go Down

Topic: Arduino Mega USB stopped working... all of a sudden (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

anchan

Jul 15, 2013, 05:39 pm Last Edit: Jul 15, 2013, 05:43 pm by anchan Reason: 1

My suspicion is a minor bug in the ATmega16U2 bootloader / FLIP.  Reprogramming it would add a bit of anecdotal evidence to bolster my suspicion.

Interesting.  I do not have the time to do this reprogramming at the moment, but I may look into this.  I'm going to continue testing on the replacement Arduino I swapped in.  So far, its been 7 days, operating 24hours, and no problems to report.

Is there any other hardware related, or wiring issue that could have caused the failure?.......

"Well, 12V applied directly to the ATmega16U2 would certainly cause it some distress."

I do not see how 12V could be applied to the 16U2.  I am supplying 12V (actually 10.5V) to Vin.  Are you suggesting that there may be a way that Vin could make its way to this chip?

Maybe the USB/Serial chip on the Arduino is not cut out for 365/24/7 operation?...............

"If that were the case, Atmel would have long ago been out of business.  They guarantee that each processor will perform within specifications for 20 years (or more).

On a more local level, the forum would be flooded with unhappy customers."

I'm not suggesting that the processor itself is at fault.  Rather, how the USB chip was integrated, or perhaps some low level code has a bug in it, as you mentioned.  For all intents and purposes, that might make someone pause before using them in a situation where they must run 365/24/7.  There are a few other threads reporting USB failure, all without definitive resolution.  Analog and digital IO, on the other hand, all seem to be pretty bulletproof.

Coding Badly

Are you suggesting that there may be a way that Vin could make its way to this chip?

Nope.

You wanted to know "[are] there any other hardware related, or wiring issue that could have caused the failure?"  A few folks have killed a processor by accidentally dropping a "high" voltage (typically 12V DC) live wire onto the board.  

For all intents and purposes, that might make someone pause before using them in a situation where they must run 365/24/7.  There are a few other threads reporting USB failure, all without definitive resolution.

There are at least as many cases of folks who have used various Arduino boards nonstop for years.

anchan

Codingbadly- thanks for your input. I'll keep this 2nd board running and see what happens. If it fails, I might try reprogramming the bootloader, but maybe it was just a fluke.... Hopefully, she'll keep going........

Go Up