Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: adding slave support to SPI library  (Read 542 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So I have recently discovered that Arduino SPI library includes no slave support, bit silly, so I thought I'd add it myself. Good way to learn about how the libraries work. I had a quick search around and couldn't find any similar work on the web, but I thought I would ask here since I have access to many Arduino developers and enthusiasts. So, before I get stuck in,

1. is there any specific reason for there being no slave support in the Arduino SPI library that I should know about before I begin (i.e. software limitations)?

2. has anybody already added this support, or perhaps written a new and improved SPI library that I have missed somehow?

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

1) The reason is probably because its rarely used.

2) no, but I've written standalone SPI client proof-of-concept code.
You could add an interrupt handler that uses a callback to get the next response byte:

Code:
ISR (SPI_STC_vect)
{
  byte to = 0 ;
  while (to < TIMEOUT && !(SPSR & (1 << SPIF)))  // paranoid check for status flag, probably not needed
  {
    to ++ ;
  }
  if (SPSR & (1 << SPIF))
    SPDR = spi_slave_callback (SPDR) ;
}
spi_slave_callback would be a function pointer passed to the library before enabling SPI or slave mode.  You'd need to provide
an initial value to SPDR before enabling slave mode too (the first response byte).

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: