Go Down

Topic: what kind of Arduino models i need to my project ? (Read 751 times) previous topic - next topic

eranmos

Hi All,
i want to build a facility manamgmet system for data centers that will be base on Arduino models.
the system will sample some sensors (until 15 sensors) like temperator and more ....., and will sent the infomation via SNMP protocol (SNMP Trap) and will show on LCD the sensor results like temp,humidity,voltage at the moment .
that for i want to know what kind of Arduino models will be good for my project ?

PaulS

the system will sample some sensors

Analog sensors? Digital sensors? I2C sensors? SPI sensors? Or, are you planning to order "sensors" from Electric Crapmine and use whatever you get?

and will sent the infomation via SNMP protocol

Send it where? Send it how? GPRS? Ethernet? The type of protocol used is largely irrelevant.

and will show on LCD the sensor results like temp,humidity,voltage at the moment .

You're going to need a fairly large LCD to show 15 values with labels. Or damned good eyesight.

i want to know what kind of Arduino models will be good for my project ?

If you want to use one per sensor, any one will work. If you want to use one to read all the sensors, you need to be a lot more specific about the sensors.

eranmos

Hi all,
sorry that i didnt replay until now.
regarding :
1. sensors - i will use Analog and digital sensors.
2. SNMP protocol- i will use Ethernet (RJ-45 connector).
3. LCD- will show until 5 values.
4. Arduino type- i want one that will manage all sensors.

more questions :
A. can Arduino sent snmp trap or just know how to work with snmp set/get ?
B. can i change some on the analog sensors values remotely (to connect from the Ethernet and to change them ) ?

waiting for your repay
BR
Eranmos

PaulS

1. sensors - i will use Analog and digital sensors.

OK. Any Arduino will work. You can then read as many of these mysterious sensors as you have pins.

You can make GET and POST requests. If you make an appropriate GET request to an appropriate site, that can result in e-mail being sent. The Ethernet shield doesn't let the Arduino BE a mail server.

3. LCD- will show until 5 values.

So, get one.

4. Arduino type- i want one that will manage all sensors.

So, get one. Since you won't say how many of each type you are thinking of, you get to do the research. Since you are planning to use an ethernet shield, the Mini, the FIO and other non-shield shaped Arduinos won't be useful.

A. can Arduino sent snmp trap or just know how to work with snmp set/get ?

No.

B. can i change some on the analog sensors values remotely (to connect from the Ethernet and to change them ) ?

You can't. Analog sensors measure things. You can't change how they measure things. The manufactured designed how they work. You can't change that.

skyjumper

What you want to do is really not very difficult. If you're designing a commercial system you can use Arduino parts to prototype it, if you're building a one off then you can just buy the parts and be done. The tricky part is finding compatible shields.

If you go to somewhere like adafruit.com or sparkfun.com (or any of the many other similar online stores) you'll find hat you need. You'll need a base Arduino and some "shields" that add functionality.

Adafruit.copm has some LCD shields. They also have an ethernet shield. The Arduino itself can sample analog and digital data. For a data center (measuring temp and humidity) you probably won't need very high precision, so this is not difficult.

I would suggest the Duo, just because its not all that expensive for the tremendous capability you get. Alternatively, get a mega. Just make sure the shields you select are compatible with the arduino you get. Its easier to pair shields to an Uno R3 or even a mega, but you can paid some to the Duo.

Bottom line, everything you want to do can be done. You'll probably have to code the SNMP client code yourself, but the ethernet library has what you need for that. Just shop around for parts and have fun.

skyjumper

Oh, I forgot... The enclosure will be the hardest thing to find. There are some Arduino enclosures but not very many and rarely does an off the shelf enclosure match your goals exactly.

Also, if you're looking for one Arduino to monitor al the sensors, you'll need some circuitry to boost the signals. There are lots of ways to do this and it depends on the sensors/transducers you choose, but you need to think it through.

eranmos

so please advice what type of Arduino i need to my project ?

i already know that i need the Arduino Ethernet Shield but dont know what Arduino Boards will be the best for me?

please assist
eranmos

djjoshuad

You can make GET and POST requests. If you make an appropriate GET request to an appropriate site, that can result in e-mail being sent. The Ethernet shield doesn't let the Arduino BE a mail server.

SNMP != SMTP

@eranmos: skyjumper mentioned a couple of very capable arduino boards that will suit your purpose nicely.  I would add that the Due is (at least at this point) more of an "Advanced Level" board and may not be appropriate for your first project, at least not until it is a little more mature.  I recommend starting with an Uno R3 to get your feet wet and test out the various components you want to use.  Even the official Uno R3 can be had for US$20 or less, so it won't be a bad investment if you need to upgrade later.  If you run out of IO pins, try using shift registers before moving to a larger board.  If you settle on needing more pins, get yourself a Mega... but only once you comfortably know how you're going to architect the whole thing.  Experiment, experiment, experiment. 

eranmos

Hi all,
Thank you all for your support but I have one more question before that I will perches all the products for my project:
I prefer  to buy something that will cover more options (more I/0) so just want to know if the Arduino Mega 2560 will fit to my project ( its have more I/O and I can put a lot of sensors and add LCD and more ) and if he can work with the Arduino Ethernet Shield R3 ?

Waiting for your replay
BR
Eranmos

PaulS

so just want to know if the Arduino Mega 2560 will fit to my project

Yes, no, maybe. You still haven't provided enough details about your project.

and if he can work with the Arduino Ethernet Shield R3 ?

Yes, she can.

Go Up