Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Tansistor help to power motors  (Read 2449 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

i dont understand y i should use a mosfet

please enlighten me smiley-grin

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

You need to establish the DC resistance of your motor and hence its stall current. See my reply #28. If the stall current is less than about 500mA, you can use a transistor to control the motor speed. If it is more, you should use a mosfet.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

View Profile

i dont understand y i should use a mosfet

please enlighten me smiley-grin
You don't have to smiley-wink (although I did leave a a huge clue why you might want to)

I would suggest some reading... DC42's posts are a good start,and re-reading the article you posted (it tells you what the diode is for!) and find some data sheets on your motor, your transistor and then maybe also compare your requirements against a mosfet and see what conclusions you come to.

Draw an H=Bridge and see if you can understand how it works (think of the transistors as switches). Hint - nothing to do with high currents as suggested above. patduino suggested reading about transistors as switches - great idea (although you didn't seem to think so)

The exercise will hold you in good stead for your next project. Asking questions is a good way to learn, but doing it off you own back with a few pointers to get you going is so much more rewarding than expecting someone to do it for you! It really is worth the time and effort.
Lets hope your next post is a video of you controlling your motor! smiley-grin

Kind regards

For whom does the clock pulse? It pulses for you!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: