Go Down

Topic: Monitoring and Charging Multiple Batteries (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Cerin

Nevermind. As the designer mentions here, "it wasn't designed to be charging and powering the circuit in the same switch position." It also requires a manual switch be flipped to initiate charging, which makes it useless for UPS and robotics applications.

*sigh*

So close.

0AlphaOmega

oh! I thought you were using a seperate supply for the motors
and charge both the netbook's battery and the additional 12V battery (likely lipo) simultaneously.

I'm making something similar ATM (no laptop), but using a solar panel to charge a 12V gel battery. Power requirements should be within daily charge capability, but I will be adding a sun-bathing routine if the bat gets low. I'll put the panel at optimum angle and allow the unit to rotate toward the sun. Bit dark for testing at the moment ;) So waiting for the spring.  :P Continuous activity is not necessary as this is an exercise in navigation rather doing any useful work. For that I will probably aim to set up a self serve "fuelling point" as the area available will not allow a high enough current density from a PV panel.

Good luck
For whom does the clock pulse? It pulses for you!

Cerin

oh! I thought you were using a seperate supply for the motors
and charge both the netbook's battery and the additional 12V battery (likely lipo) simultaneously.

I'm making something similar ATM (no laptop), but using a solar panel to charge a 12V gel battery. Power requirements should be within daily charge capability, but I will be adding a sun-bathing routine if the bat gets low. I'll put the panel at optimum angle and allow the unit to rotate toward the sun. Bit dark for testing at the moment ;) So waiting for the spring.  :P Continuous activity is not necessary as this is an exercise in navigation rather doing any useful work. For that I will probably aim to set up a self serve "fuelling point" as the area available will not allow a high enough current density from a PV panel.

Good luck

Are you using anything like a solar charger shield? Can those use an arbitrary external power source instead of a solar panel to recharge the battery?

Chagrin

Are you using anything like a solar charger shield? Can those use an arbitrary external power source instead of a solar panel to recharge the battery?

That shield is designed specifically for a single cell lithium battery. Can't change the output voltage.

To charge a lead acid battery a ready made solution would be called an "on board battery charger" (example). In real world use they are designed to stay permanently attached to a car/boat and then plugged in to a wall socket to maintain the battery.

For a non-ready-made solution I'd look at something like a UC3906. Lots of examples from Mr. Google on this.

0AlphaOmega

No Cerin, not a shield.

I have a microprocessor on board  8) - ideal for monitoring a battery. But as Chargrin posted, there are many chips to do the job! ;) This allows you to make 'units' that you connect together and the operation of one does not impinge on another.

Do read up on batteries, e.g. if using lead acid, ensure you use it within it's recommended charge/discharge range, otherwise you will shorten the life. Don't forget about weight either! ;)

For whom does the clock pulse? It pulses for you!

Go Up