Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: FreeIMU Calibration  (Read 1144 times)
Indiana
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am trying to use the FreeIMU calibration tool with a generic MPU-6050 breakout board (GY-521).  I can get the sensors to output data just fine, and I can load the FreeIMU_serial example file onto my Arduino Uno R3 just fine, but I can't get the calibration tool to connect.  Python UI loads, but when I hit connect, I get the following error:

"Impossible to connect: could not open Port 23: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specfied."

I have verified that I can open COM Port 23 just fine using the Arduino IDE serial monitor, and I have made sure not to leave the serial monitor open when I try to connect to the FreeIMU Calibration Application.  I tried looking through the Python code, although I am not at all familiar with Python, and I can't for the life of me figure out what file the system cannot find.

Has anybody here experience with the FreeIMU calibration tool?  I would ask over at FreeIMU's forum but I recently heard of the tragic news of the owner, Fabio Varesano's passing on Christmas. :-(

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I can't help much with Windows (not a Windows user) but I can tell you that it's not actually a "file" that python is trying to open. As python has its roots in Unix it uses Unix terms, and under Unix all hardware devices are described as files.

In other words you have a more generic problem with your serial port.

Indiana
View Profile

Thanks, thats a place to start at least.  I can open the serial port manually, the Python calibration tool just seems unable to.   I will keep fiddling around. 

Indiana
View Profile

Well, I was able to get it to connect.  For anybody else having this problem in Windows, here is what I did.

Open "cal_gui.py"

Search for "port = self.serial_port,"

I could not find where "self.serial_port" was being set.  So I changed it to:

"port = 23", which is my Arduino serial port via USB.  I opened the calibration program and instead of the error saying impossible to connect to serial port, it said:

"Connecting to 23."

It then timed out and said:

""Impossible to connect: could not open Port COM24: [Error 121] The semaphore timeout period has expired."

I thought that was strange since I thought it should be opening COM23, rather than 24.

So I changed the code to:

"port = 22"

I reopened the calibration program, and this time when clicking connect it successfully connected.

Hope this helps someone else.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: