Go Down

Topic: current measurement (Read 579 times) previous topic - next topic

in my project i have to measure voltage and current to calculate power.i can read the analog voltage but dont know to read current.help me out..........

Hello. There are a chip made by allegro that measure current and has an analog signal like output. But there is another cheaper method: you use a 1 ohm resistor and next you read the voltage. 1=y/x y is the voltage and x the current. With this you use the ohm law. Bye

Jan 15, 2013, 05:57 pm Last Edit: Jan 15, 2013, 06:01 pm by Chagrin Reason: 1
If the A/D converter of the Arduino (10 bit) is not quite accurate enough for your needs so you use an external A/D converter -- the more bits the better. As an example, see page 33 of the MCP3422 datasheet for how this particular 2 channel A/D converter would be hooked up to measure both voltage and current.

The ACS714 is the Allegro chip SUBSEA was referring to. You get 10 bit resolution over a -30A to 30A range.

What typical value of current are you interested in.  If several amps then a hall sensor with a 0-5volt output is your best bet.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131