Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: ATTiny Power  (Read 2382 times)
Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I can't seem to find any concrete reference specifying the typical diode loss as a resistive loss at all.  I was under the impression it's a carrier loss and is not represented by Ohm's Law, and therefore does not have a heat byproduct (other than natural resistive losses in any real-world conductive material).  Pedantic as it may be, anyone know for sure?

Not ohms law as applied to resistance, more like a constant voltage drop so power dissipation is voltage drop X forward current = real power dissipated as waste heat wattage. So not like a resistor as voltage drop doesn't increase with increasing current flow, but still real power loss as in Watts = voltage drop X current.

Lefty

Faraday Member
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.
View Profile

I have used the diode idea several times with success.
I added a 100uF capacitor from the cathode to 0 volts in these applications.

The way you have it in your schematic isn't the same as how you have it wired up! That goes for me too.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

I wouldn't call most of the power loss in a forward-biased diode resistive, but it certainly generates heat (or, in the case of an LED, heat + light).

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

I can't seem to find any concrete reference specifying the typical diode loss as a resistive loss at all.  I was under the impression it's a carrier loss and is not represented by Ohm's Law, and therefore does not have a heat byproduct...

It has to go somewhere (the laws of physics don't allow energy to vanish)

In the absence of electromagnetic radiation, where do you think it goes...?

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Edison Member
View Profile

I can't seem to find any concrete reference specifying the typical diode loss as a resistive loss at all.

If * Vfwd.

Always true, no exception, even in vectorized forms.

Anchorage, AK
Edison Member
View Profile

In the absence of electromagnetic radiation, where do you think it goes...?

Not lost, just not used?  I don't know exactly.  I guess I rationalized the idea somewhat like this:  Take two halves of a transformer and separate them.  The induced current in the secondary coil will be lower than if they're more closely coupled.  Maybe even that can be described as a resistive loss, since there's resistance from the air gap between coils.

Ugh.  This is where being self-taught fails compared with having a formal education.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: