Go Down

Topic: Advantages of Arduino Uno over PIC18F4550 (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic

retrolefty

I wonder - does the Arduino/avr compiler do optimizations?

The arduino platform just uses an AVR adapted GNU GCC open source compiler which is an independent open souce group/project, and yes it offers several levels of optimization.

http://gcc.gnu.org/

Lefty

oric_dan

I shouldn't think GCC itself would have many optimizations, as those are usually added on
for the specific chip architectures the compiler is running on. So maybe the AVR GCC people
added them on.

I believe the Microchip C compilers are also based upon GCC, so they give away the non-optimized
versions, but they charge a lot for the versions they optimized in house for their own chips. But
this may all be scuttle-butt too.

All in all, however, for most applications, I doubt that most people really need to worry about this.

oric_dan

I'm sticking to Arduino/AVR, if you outgrow the Arduino IDE you can always use your favourite editor and use gcc-avr to compile your programs.

The other thing about Arduino is, there is an easy pathway when you need more processing power,
with boards like the DUE and misc 3rd party boards that use 32-bit processors, but which still use
the Arduino environment.

tuxduino

I believe the Microchip C compilers are also based upon GCC,

This is interesting. Do you have any links ? Thanks.

fungus

I wonder - does the Arduino/avr compiler do optimizations?

Yes.

(Take a look at some disassembled output if you don't believe me...)
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Go Up