Project Feasibility

OK, so I have a project in mind that I really want to do. However, I don't know if it is feasible. Basically I want to make a bank of really cool switches. Specifically this key switch (or a similar one), between 5 and, say, 7 of these illuminated toggle switches,, some kind of momentary switch (maybe even a "big red button"), and a keypad of some kind (probably a 12 key). I also want to integrate a screen of some kind (preferably NOT a full color lcd. Basically, I am going for "cool factor," so I'm not entirely sure what I am going to make these switches do. What I do know is that I want the buttons to work like this:

• The key switch should be a master power switch (either in reality or simply appearing to be i.e. turning on/off the screen)
  • The toggle switches should enable/disable certain things
  • The momentary switch should "activate" the enabled things/functions
  • The keypad should be used for "additional authorization" (i.e. inputting a pin number in order to perform certain functions)

The display should show updates on the states of the switches, errors, etc.

It would also be cool if I could make the whole system "talk," probably through audio files stored on an SD card. However responsiveness is much more important than this feature.

Thank you for your help!

Yes lots of ways to do this and still have room for a wave shield.

Mark

holmes4:
Yes lots of ways to do this and still have room for a wave shield.

Mark

Thanks for the reply. I am kinda a noob though, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

so any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

OK. Here are a couple:

char *ptrToChar;
int *ptrToInt;

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Now Paul he won't even get the joke if he is new. It I can see the temptation. :slight_smile:

OP
What sort of screen are you thinking of, arduino and graphics output are possible but it is normally low res stuff that does not look too cool.

Grumpy_Mike:
Now Paul he won't even get the joke if he is new. It I can see the temptation. :slight_smile:

I sort of get it, I'm assuming those are lines of code that "point" to things. But besides that...

Grumpy_Mike:
OP
What sort of screen are you thinking of, arduino and graphics output are possible but it is normally low res stuff that does not look too cool.

Probably some kind of LCD character display, maybe something like this. I feel like these are my best bet for a combination of "cool" and practicality.

So, does anyone have any pointers for me about a good place to start with this project?

Yesbasicallyit is feasible but take it one step at a time.
Get the display and learn how to drive it.
Learn how to read switches.
Learn how to read a switch matrix.
There are plenty of examples in the playground and learning section of this site.

Just like Mike said above, you need to learn to crawl before you can walk. Buy yourself an Arduino Uno, an LCD display and one of the many starter kits that are available and follow the tutorials on this site, adafruit, etc. Once you know how to read a switch and write to the lcd display then you can start putting it all together.

My only concern with buying an Uno is that I won't have enough pins. I have now upped the ante a little, and plan on using THIS RGB 20x4 LCD along with several toggle switches, a key switch, and a keypad (12 key). Will I have enough pins if I do some fancy wiring (that I currently don't know how to do...)?

Also, any suggestions about a started kit that is actually useful? Most of the ones I have seen come with tiny breadboards which won't be all that useful. Am I better off building my own kit with just the stuff I need, as to save some money? I am a student so cash isn't unlimited for me.

Edit: oh yeah, I also want to leave room to add the ability to use a wave shield (or similar) as a final touch.

My only concern with buying an Uno is that I won't have enough pins

It is easy to get extra input / output pins by using shift registers or port expanders.
The wave shield takes lots of resource to drive, incorporate it into your design from day one otherwise you will not be able to tack it on at the end.

You only need (1) switch.

buttons.jpeg

Grumpy_Mike:
It is easy to get extra input / output pins by using shift registers or port expanders.
The wave shield takes lots of resource to drive, incorporate it into your design from day one otherwise you will not be able to tack it on at the end.

OK, thanks for the advice!

vasquo:
You only need (1) switch.

As much as I love that picture, I like switches, and I want a lot of them...