Go Down

Topic: shift registers and transistors (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

bwoogie

Wait a sec. I'm new to electronics and arduino but I think I have a basic grasp on it. I thought. I'm building a led cube as a first project. I thought the point if a shift register was to replace transistors but i just read you need both. True or false?

johnwasser

The shift register is to expand the number of controllable output pins.

The transistor is to increase the current and/or voltage capability of an output pin.

You may need both.

Some LED drivers act as a shift register and have adjustable current outputs that can drive an LED.

In a matrix (or cube) there are pins that only have to drive one LED at a time.  These generally don't need transistors.  There are other pins that have to drive a whole line (or plane) of LEDs at one time.  These generally  need transistors to handle the current.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

bwoogie

CrossRoads

Its really a matter of how fast you want to multiplex.
If you are ensuring that only 1 LED at a time will  be driven, then you can get by without transistors.
If you want any kind of decent speed tho, you will update a whole layer/plane at a time, and you will need something that can source or sink the current for that whole layer/plane.
If you use a common anode layer, than a PNP transistor or P-channel MOSFET can source the current for the layer, while a power shift register like TPIC6B595 can sink 20mA for each of 8 columns for max brightness.
If you use a common cathode layer, than a NPN transistor or N-channel MOSFET can sick the current for the layer - or maybe even a power shift register, have to look at the specs for other TPIC6x595 shift registers, some will do 350mA/IO pin - but sourcing 20mA/LED is a little tougher, perhaps a High Side switch chip like this
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AMIS39101PNPB4RG/766-1004-1-ND/1914838
Many folks use 74HC595 as an 8-output source, but I would speculate that most are over stressed that way.
Adding a PNP array to the output of 74HC595 would be better
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/A2982SLWTR-T/620-1127-1-ND/1090370
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy