Go Down

Topic: Project - Small car using DC motors (Read 796 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello everyone,

I want to do a small car for my brother, but I'm no expert on electronics and programming. I would really appreciate you're opinion about my ideas.
Initially I'm going to begin by something simple, so I recently bought an Arduíno UNO and next I'm thinking about buying a 350W Electric Motor 24v. Since it has such an high rated current and I want to control the direction and speed of the motor, I believe I will also need to buy a driver like this one "30A H-bridge Coreless Motor Driver".
In conclusion, my first goal is to program my Arduino to control the direction and speed of one DC Motor (350W Electric Motor 24v) using PWM.
- Is it possible to do this with the material I'm thinking to buy?
- My research lead me to believe that one Arduino and driver are enough to control at least 2 DC Motors

If you guys have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

cr0sh

I want to do a small car for my brother...

...a 350W Electric Motor 24v...

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by a "small car" - are we talking something on the order of a gokart or powerwheels vehicle here?
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

retrolefty

Hello everyone,

I want to do a small car for my brother, but I'm no expert on electronics and programming. I would really appreciate you're opinion about my ideas.
Initially I'm going to begin by something simple, so I recently bought an Arduíno UNO and next I'm thinking about buying a 350W Electric Motor 24v. Since it has such an high rated current and I want to control the direction and speed of the motor, I believe I will also need to buy a driver like this one "30A H-bridge Coreless Motor Driver".
In conclusion, my first goal is to program my Arduino to control the direction and speed of one DC Motor (350W Electric Motor 24v) using PWM.
- Is it possible to do this with the material I'm thinking to buy?

Yes
- My research lead me to believe that one Arduino and driver are enough to control at least 2 DC Motors
Polulu makes some high quality motor driver modules that might meet your requirements. Just be sure to watch the specifications carefully as you dealing with a pretty powerful motor.

http://www.pololu.com/
Lefty

If you guys have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

- You're right cr0sh, I should have been more specific. We are talking about something on the order of a gokart.

- Thanks for the advice Lefty and the site will be useful.
But maybe it would be wiser to use less powerful motors..

I was thinking about buying a motor similar to this one:
http://www.quadsunlimited.co.uk/partsItem.aspx?PartRef=167

And I think if I buy a driver with this specifications, there won't be any problems of damage or incompatibility, between the driver and the motor.
Rated voltage: 3 V-15 V
R1 short circuit, VCC and B + short circuit. VCC output voltage and drive the input voltage.
R1 open circuit, VCC and B + disconnect.   VCC input voltage 3-12 V.
Rated current: 30 A
Current peak: 70 A
Switching frequency: 1 K to 200 kHz

Do you agree? or I still have to search more information about each material to be really sure. Since the material is so expensive, I'm very concerned in doing the right choice.

Thanks!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy