Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Project - Small car using DC motors  (Read 548 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello everyone,

I want to do a small car for my brother, but I'm no expert on electronics and programming. I would really appreciate you're opinion about my ideas.
Initially I'm going to begin by something simple, so I recently bought an Arduíno UNO and next I'm thinking about buying a 350W Electric Motor 24v. Since it has such an high rated current and I want to control the direction and speed of the motor, I believe I will also need to buy a driver like this one "30A H-bridge Coreless Motor Driver".
 In conclusion, my first goal is to program my Arduino to control the direction and speed of one DC Motor (350W Electric Motor 24v) using PWM.
- Is it possible to do this with the material I'm thinking to buy?
- My research lead me to believe that one Arduino and driver are enough to control at least 2 DC Motors

If you guys have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

I want to do a small car for my brother...

...a 350W Electric Motor 24v...

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by a "small car" - are we talking something on the order of a gokart or powerwheels vehicle here?

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Hello everyone,

I want to do a small car for my brother, but I'm no expert on electronics and programming. I would really appreciate you're opinion about my ideas.
Initially I'm going to begin by something simple, so I recently bought an Arduíno UNO and next I'm thinking about buying a 350W Electric Motor 24v. Since it has such an high rated current and I want to control the direction and speed of the motor, I believe I will also need to buy a driver like this one "30A H-bridge Coreless Motor Driver".
 In conclusion, my first goal is to program my Arduino to control the direction and speed of one DC Motor (350W Electric Motor 24v) using PWM.
- Is it possible to do this with the material I'm thinking to buy?

Yes
- My research lead me to believe that one Arduino and driver are enough to control at least 2 DC Motors
Polulu makes some high quality motor driver modules that might meet your requirements. Just be sure to watch the specifications carefully as you dealing with a pretty powerful motor.

http://www.pololu.com/
Lefty

If you guys have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

View Profile

- You're right cr0sh, I should have been more specific. We are talking about something on the order of a gokart.

- Thanks for the advice Lefty and the site will be useful.
But maybe it would be wiser to use less powerful motors..

I was thinking about buying a motor similar to this one:
http://www.quadsunlimited.co.uk/partsItem.aspx?PartRef=167

And I think if I buy a driver with this specifications, there won't be any problems of damage or incompatibility, between the driver and the motor.
Rated voltage: 3 V-15 V
R1 short circuit, VCC and B + short circuit. VCC output voltage and drive the input voltage.
R1 open circuit, VCC and B + disconnect.   VCC input voltage 3-12 V.
Rated current: 30 A
Current peak: 70 A
Switching frequency: 1 K to 200 kHz

Do you agree? or I still have to search more information about each material to be really sure. Since the material is so expensive, I'm very concerned in doing the right choice.

Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: