Go Down

Topic: Basic wireless switch (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

MichaelMeissner

Jan 16, 2013, 05:42 pm Last Edit: Jan 16, 2013, 05:57 pm by MichaelMeissner Reason: 1
I misread your original post, and thought you wanted to have many slaves reporting to a single host, which is why I thought mesh might be better than bluetooth.  For just connecting one to one, I would think bluetooth would be ideal.  You can get bluetooth devices that mimic a serial port (i.e. you hook it up to pins 0/1 and use Serial.println on them).  I believe for pairing you would need to look up the AT commands for pairing.

For example, doing a quick ebay search for 'Arduino bluetooth', I see units like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Interface-Base-Board-Serial-Transceiver-Bluetooth-Module-For-Arduino-MEGA-UNO-R3-/310531685523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484d217c93.  Note, I just noticed TX/RX are 3.3 volts, so you would need a voltage converter as well to hook it up to Arduino (compatible) pins.

If your phone has bluetooth, you would be able to pair to it as well.  You can get various apps that will connect over bluetooth.  For example on my Samsung android phone, I have the free app Connection Terminal installed that lets me send/receive simple text messages.

Boffin1

Jan 16, 2013, 06:21 pm Last Edit: Jan 16, 2013, 06:24 pm by Boffin1 Reason: 1
I use el-cheapo Hope RFM83 / 85  radio links for non-critical projects, using VirtualWire to send the data.

I get over 50 meters range, even if I scrunch up the antenna wire ( the end of our road is 50 meters away ! )

The first byte I send is an address that only the right decoder/ switch/whatever responds to.

If you only need to switch the data, rather than send it realtime, it should be easy with Arduino ( dont know about chipKIT   :-)
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

jerseyguy1996

The bluetooth shields that I linked to only require two pins, TX and RX.  You write and read to it using Serial.print and Serial.read.  Pairing and communication between bluetooth devices is handled by the shield.
Arduino Uno;
Mega328

Boffin1

Jan 16, 2013, 10:19 pm Last Edit: Jan 16, 2013, 11:45 pm by Boffin1 Reason: 1
The bluetooth shields that I linked to only require two pins, TX and RX.

Thats a more sophisticated way of doing it, but what I suggest needs just one pin each end , and doesn't need a shield.

I am paying less than $3  for a pair of  wireless modules.
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

PeterH

I use el-cheapo Hope RFM83 / 85  radio links for non-critical projects, using VirtualWire to send the data.

I'm interested in trying these but I notice in Nick Gammon's article about a radio-controlled car based on these that the receiver's data pin couldn't drive the Arduino input pin directly and had to be connected via an op-amp. Do you have the same problem?
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Go Up