Go Down

Topic: Basic wireless switch (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

shiznatix

I use el-cheapo Hope RFM83 / 85  radio links

These look quite good. Doing a basic "sending to # receiver" is good enough for my project at the moment. The problem with the bluetooth shields is that they don't seam compatible with my chipKIT board without doing my own wiring and they are more expensive.

@Boffin1 - Where can you purchase these? I can't seam to find anything through google other than the specs for them.

Boffin1

Sorry about the delay, I lost all my notify tags somehow and just found this thread again.

@Boffin1 - Where can you purchase these? I can't seam to find anything through google other than the specs for them.

You should look for agents for Hope,  in South Africa I get them from Nuvision electrical.

I'm interested in trying these but I notice in Nick Gammon's article about a radio-controlled car based on these that the receiver's data pin couldn't drive the Arduino input pin directly and had to be connected via an op-amp. Do you have the same problem?

He was using the RXB1 which is ot from Hope by the look of it.

I have no problems with the RFM83 / 85 receiver and get a full 5v swing into the Arduino pin, even though it is also connected to another decoder as well ( an HT12D ) .

I am using VirtualWire as opposed to NewSoftSerial as well but it wouldnt make any difference I think.
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

oric_dan

One thing not mentioned, possibly because not very cheapo, is the use of XBee
shields for Arduino. There are several available from different companies. The
big advantage here is that there are many different RF modules that plug into
the same sockets, so you can easily try out different possibilities. Here are
some of the modules that plug in, XBee, BT, wifi, 433 Mhz, etc.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=beefamily

XBee shields should be compatible with the Chipkit Uc32, as it has regular Arduino
headers. Also, most XBee style modules run at 3.3V. Also, I believe the uC32 also
runs at 3.3V, although the PIC32 pins are 5V tolerant, so you should be able to plug
any shields into it. But best to double-check.

One problem with going really el-cheapo RF is you also get el-cheapo RF comms
reliability. OTOH, the HopeRF modules like the RFM12/22 are pretty well designed,
although I know nothing about the 85s.

Go Up