Go Down

Topic: DVD-Rom Drive Based LiDAR? (Read 843 times) previous topic - next topic

mightyaad

I want to make a cheap LiDAR as my Arduino project.
By cheap I mean low cost with reasonable performance.
I saw the famous WiiDAR http://myrobotlab.org/node/1
It made me think why not use the laser diode and optical component that a DVD-Rom Drive has in order to achieve the same goal?

Is it possible to use those components for making a LiDAR with Arduino?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/CD_laser_assembly1.jpg

mercury20101010

That's a great question. I'm also trying to build a simple lidar system with a dvd laser diode, a light sensor (resistor) a dvd tray extender motor and a 45 degree tilted mirror.

I plan on having the laser and sensor point downward from a fixed arm onto the mirror to have it bounce 90 degrees outward as it spins. Hopefully the sensor can give accurate readings of at least a foot increments.

The mirror is more than likely not level, so I don't know how that will effect it but as long as it's consistent I won't mind.

I'd like to see someone with experienc add to this question.
And please excuse me. I don't normally use forums so I and pretty much unaware of the proper etiquette in participating in forums.

Robin2

If this involves measuring the time between transmission and receipt of a light flash will a 16MHz Arduino be fast enough to measure the gap?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

bobcousins

As a good rule of thumb, light travels about 30 cm (1 foot) per nano-second, equivalent to a clock speed of 1GHz.

You would need some specialized hardware to measure intervals at that resolution, an Arduino has no chance :(
Please don't PM me asking for help. Ask questions in the forum.

AWOL

If this involves measuring the time between transmission and receipt of a light flash will a 16MHz Arduino be fast enough to measure the gap?

...R

These devices typically use parallax/triangulation, hence the spinning mirror and the linear detector.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Robin2

These devices typically use parallax/triangulation, hence the spinning mirror and the linear detector.

I don't know anything about that stuff. Does it mean a 16MHz Arduino is fast enough?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

AWOL

I've seen a CCD / laser rangefinder/scanner using an old 33 1/3rd RPM turntable, so yes, a 16MHz Arduino is fast enough.
http://letsmakerobots.com/node/2651
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Robin2

I've seen a CCD / laser rangefinder/scanner using an old 33 1/3rd RPM turntable, so yes, a 16MHz Arduino is fast enough.

Thanks for the link - very interesting.

...R

cr0sh

You could always try to improve upon this project:

http://letsmakerobots.com/node/2651

The hardware and concept is pretty basic, and can only measure the distance to a single point; the improvements would be to increase the distance (maybe a combo IR filter, as well as matching the phototransistor to the laser wavelength, perhaps a better amplifier - and/or maybe substituting a different kind of detector for the phototransistor - maybe a pin or avalanche photodiode perhaps - or maybe just a more sensitive photodiode or phototransistor), and make it scan in two dimensions (I thought about maybe panning the phototransistor while tracking the angle might be a good way).
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy