Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: My body gives Electricity when i trying to acquire signal by AD620 inst. amp ?  (Read 1907 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Offline Offline
Full Member
***
Karma: 0
Posts: 109
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

kindly, im trying to acquire signal with ad620 from my eyes for EOG acquisition system ...when i connect the reference lead to the ground i feel sting
in my (-) electrode

http://electrooculography.wordpress.com/


pls help
Logged

Offline Offline
Edison Member
*
Karma: 32
Posts: 1289
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

What power supply voltage are you using?   Are you running off batteries, or from an AC power supply?   I'm wondering if you have some (potentially dangerous) leakage in your AC power supply!
Logged

Offline Offline
Newbie
*
Karma: 1
Posts: 45
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

this is probably caused by using a switchmode supply somewhere in the device. try using batteries, or connect the ground to earth.
Logged

the land of sun+snow
Offline Offline
Faraday Member
**
Karma: 159
Posts: 2895
View Profile
WWW
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

You have to be EXTREMELY careful when connecting anything electrical to the human body.
Commercial devices have to be very carefully designed so they don't pass very much electrical
current through the body. People who design this sort of equipment have to be highly trained
and licensed too. 9V on wet skin can give you a shock. 120V will kill you.

So, if you're using any kind of AC-powered equipment, and you're not really an experienced
electronics person, what you're doing may be very dangerous. If you insist on doing this,
everything should probably be running off of low-voltage batteries, like 3-4V, and not connected
to your computer either.
Logged

Beijing
Offline Offline
Full Member
***
Karma: 3
Posts: 193
Skype name habib.derbyshire
View Profile
WWW
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm 13 right now and the first time I was shocked by 220v ac was probaly when I was 5. Since then, I've been shocked quite a few times. Electricity here is 220v.
Logged

What is man's best friend? The breadboard!

Manchester (England England)
Online Online
Brattain Member
*****
Karma: 603
Posts: 33417
Solder is electric glue
View Profile
WWW
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm 13 right now and the first time I was shocked by 220v ac was probaly when I was 5. Since then, I've been shocked quite a few times. Electricity here is 220v.
So far you have been lucky. The amount of pain iis dependent on how much current passes through you and where it passes. With electrodes you are minimising the resistance of you and so is much more dangerous than a casual schock.
You must have at lease a 1M resistance in seriese with electrodes.
Logged

Beijing
Offline Offline
Full Member
***
Karma: 3
Posts: 193
Skype name habib.derbyshire
View Profile
WWW
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

How much is the resistance of a normal person?
Logged

What is man's best friend? The breadboard!

Global Moderator
UK
Offline Offline
Brattain Member
*****
Karma: 291
Posts: 25867
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Anything from a few hundred ohms to tens of kilo ohms, depending on moisture.
Logged

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Beijing
Offline Offline
Full Member
***
Karma: 3
Posts: 193
Skype name habib.derbyshire
View Profile
WWW
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Oh I thought it was about 400k for females and 600k for males.

EDIT
So I guess I can use myself as a pull-down reistor if I run out of resistors!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:17:21 am by arduinohabib » Logged

What is man's best friend? The breadboard!

Offline Offline
Full Member
***
Karma: 0
Posts: 109
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

thnx for all ... i was using DC power supply ...but now im using 9v batteries  and  isolate myself and my work from electricity.... but i got a sequre wave on the output of AD620 ..... my friend told me that the transistors reched saturation region so change the input voltage to 3v ....but i see most of researchs used 12v as input ....any one have used AD260 before can help me ?? i will make a new topic for that ...thnx again
Logged

Manchester (England England)
Online Online
Brattain Member
*****
Karma: 603
Posts: 33417
Solder is electric glue
View Profile
WWW
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Why do you say in the title that your body gives electricity? It OS not giving it it is taking it.
If you need help you need to post a schematic of your circuit.
Do not start another thread.
Logged

Melbourne, Australia
Offline Offline
Newbie
*
Karma: 0
Posts: 18
The Antipodean Tinkerer
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The square wave you are seeing may be due to 50Hz mains pickup. You're in England (or Ireland/Scotland/Wales), I assume?

You can try a couple of things. First, check the frequency of the square wave. If it's 50 or 60Hz, it's mains interference. If you're running the circuit from batteries, you don't need high resistance in your electrodes. Try reducing the resistance to about 10k, that should significantly reduce the mains pickup.

If the square wave signal is in the frequency range you're interested in (200Hz...20kHz), then add a resistor of about 47k between each lead and ground. This will act as a voltage divider, and might be an easier way to reduce the signal voltage.

You should be seeing signals of only a few millivolts - maybe 50mV maximum. If you're seeing voltages in the volt range (1V or higher), then you're an antenna, and you're picking up voltage from somewhere else! Also, you'll find that any televisions in your area will tend to induce voltages in you. Turn off the telly, or better yet, go into the back yard/garage and try there if that's possible.

The only other thing I can think of is if you're living under power lines. They will cause you all sorts of problems, at all sorts of frequencies.

As someone suggested, maybe if you post a schematic (circuit), it will help to pinpoint any unusual problems or potential danger points.

Given that you connect your probes to each temple and one in the middle, I'm surprised you didn't turn into Frankenstein! Did smoke come out of your ears? smiley

Let us know how you got on, it sounds an interesting project!
Logged

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: