Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Which arduino mega ?  (Read 418 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

never used a mega before, and so i notice there are two versions
I like to use the normal arduino IDE to program it in c++
As i understand it the adk version is for android devices (which seams cool too) however would it still be programmable by the normal IDE ?
AND this is important to me wont i loose pins because of its extra functionality, as i am planning to control 50 I/O ports with it

(if you've seen my prev post i'm thinking of using 3 of these resulting in 150 I/O pins)

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

however would it still be programmable by the normal IDE ?
Yes, both versions are.

Did you look at the Products page? Both Mega versions have 54 I/O pins. The ADK has an extra chip that handles the USB Host duties. That does not require the use of any digital pins.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

"i'm thinking of using 3 of these resulting in 150 I/O pins"
Can't handle a few shift registers, so you're going to spend $210 on boards instead?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Arduino/A000069/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujj3xA%2fzo7HllO9RZ0StfazAnaxISN%2fW8vi4I1Htytw4Q%3d%3d

Good luck with the project.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:53:58 pm by CrossRoads » Logged

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Well actually i have been thinking seriously about the shift registers board too, and a lot of thanks for that !.

Though i think programmable boards might allow me to add some more fun, extra tricks
Also i know how to program them so it would speedup building and i might have good use for them after this is over.
I can use 1 smaller arduino board to drive 2 mega versions it would be under 130 euro total.
Excluded other electronics

If it where a permanent thing i would have gone for your version.

View Profile

"i'm thinking of using 3 of these resulting in 150 I/O pins"
Can't handle a few shift registers, so you're going to spend $210 on boards instead?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Arduino/A000069/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujj3xA%2fzo7HllO9RZ0StfazAnaxISN%2fW8vi4I1Htytw4Q%3d%3d

Good luck with the project.

For the uninitiated, what does that mean?  The link seems to be simply to a board for sale, I don't get the 'handle a fiew shift registers' comment.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

It goes with the other thread, where building up a few shift registers to control the 150 IO pins was discussed.
I was pointing out the cost of 3 boards.  Building a simple design with 20 shift registers all daisy chained would be far less expensive.
Send out 20 bytes at a time via SPI commnands when an output needed changing.

Buying 3 cards for the IO, writing up a protocol to send messages for driving the IO, thats another way to go.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: