Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How to weatherproof sensors  (Read 1627 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm working on a project to measure soil dryness in multiple outdoor potted plants, and I'm looking for a moisture sensor that can withstand the elements. I'm found several stores selling sensors like this, but I can't imagine that thing lasting more than a couple weeks outside before sun and rain destroy all the exposed contacts.

Is anyone aware of other cheap but robust moisture sensors? How would I weather proof the sensor?

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

You can make it waterproof by using kit you also use in the bathroom or with sugru - http://sugru.com/about -

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Faraday Member
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.
View Profile

Use stainless steel maybe?

The way you have it in your schematic isn't the same as how you have it wired up! That goes for me too.

Mayne Island, BC, Canada
PICs, Arduinos and Pi, Oh My!
View Profile

Industrial sensors use a conformal coating. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating  MGChemicals sell this (among others). It is a thin epoxy type of coating which I use for exterior sensors in a marine environment. It is extremely durable and moderately flexible.

Don't breath in the magic smoke!

Faraday Member
View Profile

If you seal the sensor , so that it is waterproof,   then the soil moisture and humidity won't be able
to get into it.   
I suspect that a completely waterproof solution is not what you actually want, for your stated application.

View Profile

If you seal the sensor , so that it is waterproof,   then the soil moisture and humidity won't be able
to get into it.   
I suspect that a completely waterproof solution is not what you actually want, for your stated application.

True. I was referring to the above-ground part of the sensor, especially the plug. I'm not too worried about the below-ground parts, as long as the leads are gold-plated or similarly protected against corrosion.

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I keep a two part epoxy (as used with fiberglass) for problems like this. The epoxy can be thinned down with denatured alcohol if necessary and in this case would probably result in a coating similar to what arbutus is describing. Don't expect to remove the plug afterward though smiley-wink

Shelf life is very long (years). Tons of uses as either a glue or coating. You might find it at a auto store -- just remember it's epoxy and not polyester resin which is generally just a huge PITA.

View Profile

Just my 2 cents... Use capacitance to measure moisture, this allows you to completely seal the unit and you don't have to use expensive metals for the tester. Also, use a decent connector and dielectric grease in the connector. The grease is the kind they use to keep the elements out of spark-plugs and buried telephone line junctions and such.

View Profile

Just my 2 cents... Use capacitance to measure moisture, this allows you to completely seal the unit and you don't have to use expensive metals for the tester. Also, use a decent connector and dielectric grease in the connector. The grease is the kind they use to keep the elements out of spark-plugs and buried telephone line junctions and such.

Does anyone sell these at a reasonable price in a form I can easily connect to an Arduino's ADC port? Googling doesn't find much, and the few I can find, like this, don't have any price listed...which usually means they're insanely expensive. I have a budget of a couple hundred dollars, and it looks like a single "good" capacitive soil moisture sensor may well cost much more than that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: