Go Down

Topic: Arduino Nano works only one time and then the computer does not recognize it (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

szangvil

Think I have nothing to loose, I started playing with the reset button. Guess what! If I keep the reset button pressed while connecting the USB cable, suddenly windows will recognize it as a USB serial port.
Any ideas?

PeterH

Maybe some sort of timing issue? Although I have no idea why it would behave differently at the first connection. When you say you 'tried it on another computer - same results' do you mean that on the other computer it worked as normal on the first connection? This would suggest that something is changing on the host when you make the first connection. What OS and what USB drivers are you using?
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

szangvil

Before I discovered that holding the reset button down while plugging in the USB cable fixes the problem:

On another computer it never worked i.e., the only time it worked was the FIRST connection ever, regardless of the computer its connected to.

szangvil

I need another solution. The device will be in an enclosure with no access to the reset button.

PeterH

That suggests some sort of hardware damage then, during that initial connect/disconnect

It may be a design fault or bad component choice that you can't do anything about. The only thing I can think of that you may be able to influence, is the order in which the USB pins make contact. Which should be defined by the USB standard, but if hypothetically you had an out-of-spec Chinese copy of a USB port it may be connecting/disconnecting in the wrong order.

If there was something like that going on, you might be able to avoid the problem (with new Nanos that have not already been 'blown') by disconnecting from the PC end, where you are presumably using a known good host port and cable. No reason at all to think this is at all likely, but it's the only thing I can think of that you have any chance to influence, so you have nothing to lose by trying.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Go Up