Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Tracking Animal position and temperature  (Read 1040 times)
Johannesburg UTC+2
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

These are sheep, not aircraft.

Or birds, for that matter .....

Have you looked for answers in the Learning, Reference, Products and Playground tabs on http://arduino.cc/en/ ?
Look here http://electronicsclub.info/ for basic electronics

View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Well that adds a whole new dimension, and you'll need all sorts of veterinary advice on that I should think. Not to mention the animal research ethics people getting on your case.
there is no problem on that I'm not a effective veterinary but I'm specialized on the area ( zootecnia ) so there is no problem on that, if i found a decent sensor. No surgical methode, i what the animal happy and eating, the poop problem its a reality, all depende on the sensor.

Are you trying to measure the temperature of the animal,   or the outdoor temperature ?
the animal temperature, to try to understand what temperature make them to stop eating and move them to tree shadows.

Does this help? Can anyone think of better figures to use for the different modules/shields?
Its perfect, and give a all idea how to make the calculus when all equipment working.  during the night the sheep don't need the equipment, the study will be at my school, and the animal are saved at night at a building. by that calculus the wifi almost take 1/3 of total energy, so easy method is really to store the data, the sheeps don't take bath smiley-razz

Well, not exactly. Those numbers seem to assume continuous operation. These are sheep, not aircraft. Put the processor, GPS, radio and all to sleep for some interval. A few questions:
- How often do you need to sample position and temp? Sheep and temp don't move fast. Every minute?  Every 5 minutes? Every 30 minutes?
- What does "5 ha" mean? How big is that in square miles?
- Are the sheep expected to be randomly distributed throughout the area? Or do you expect they will cluster all together in one area?

the sample rate, depend on the battery study, at the moment aiming for 1-5 minutes refresh rate, all will depend on battery.
5ha mean to 50 000 square meters
during normal temperature they eat alone, when time get warmer they tend to get in group under trees

thats the problem, my university is turned for agriculture ( agrarian institute) there are no engineering department.

in the gps area, if i put the system to sleep and get the wake up value arround X minutes, the gps will have time to get the location in a few seconds? ( i have clear sky usualy in sumer)

Thanks ALL for the feedback

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: