Go Down

Topic: Driving a 1W star with a L317 (Read 746 times) previous topic - next topic

Hey guys,

I've been using Arduino for a bit now and LOVE screwing around with flashing lights  :smiley-eek:

***i need to run a 1W star on a dimmer, and was thinking of using the L317 adjustable voltage regulator and a (X)ohm pot.***

I will generaly use PWM and a TIP122 to drive each channel of a 3W star LED   ( using 10K pull down resistor at the gate,  100ohm current limit for the MCU,  and a 2W-10ohm current limit for the led {5v > 3v@350 ma(ish) right?}  )

BUT i want somthing CHEEP & EASY for a single LED

I would like to regulate AND adjust both voltage and current with the L317 but i can't find the right fomula ( or maby make sence of it  lol)

will i have to regulate it @ 5V, use a curent limiting resistor, and adjust the voltage with a pot?

Any reasonably simple solutions i overlooked would allso be apreciated. :D

Does it have to be a L317? How about something like a TLC5916?
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/magagna <-- My last name.  Pretty apt.

If you must use an LM317, then I would say run it just in constant current mode, and adjust the current.  As long as you limit the maximum current to the maximum of the LED (using a static resistance), you should be fine.  The voltage is irrelevant as it will always be the set by the LED.

Take a look at this schematic by BillO

(reply #7)

You can use this LM317 calculator to calculate the resistor

Take a look at this schematic by BillO

Something like that generates a fixed output current.

If you put a pot over the resistor and put the adj pin on the wiper, you get to vary the output current.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131