Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Switchable USB charger  (Read 1163 times)
Switzerland
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

What I want to do is a USB charger using a 7805, a type-A female USB port and powered by a cell phone charger. You see a lot of howtos - for example on Instructables.

I'll need it to charge a keychain spy cam (google image search). But additionally I want to control the charging cycle using an Attiny85. This Attiny85 will set the 5V output to the USB on or off - triggered periodically or by some sensors.
So the 5V output from the 7805 would power the Attiny85 and the USB port.

I don't know how to switch the 5V to the USB on and off. I have some 2N2222 lying around, but is this advisable? According to this datasheet it can handle more than 5V and up to 600mA. I guess the spy cam won't draw more than 500mA...? I also guess it is out of the question using an optocoupler, right?

So what do you think: Is it advisable to use a 2N2222?

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

What do you mean by "charging"?

Are you sure the devices you are attempting to "charge" don't already have a charging circuit?  In which case, you are just controlling when power is turned on or off.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

Switzerland
View Profile

Hi James

yes, the camera gets charged by plugging its UBS cable to a port.

But the thing is that the camera goes into kind of "charging mode" when plugged into USB. This means that I can't take photos while the camera gets power over the USB cable.

So I want the camera plugged in USB all the time but I have to make sure it doesn't get powered when Arduino triggers a photo. This means I have to interrupt the 5V to USB by Arduino and I'm asking myself if I can do it with a 2N2222 transistor.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

The 2N2222 can be used to switch your load (camera charging circuit) on and off.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

Switzerland
View Profile

this is my set up and it works like a charm smiley

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

The load should be switched from the "high" side/collector of the 2N2222, not the "low" side.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/trancirc.htm

Switzerland
View Profile

James, thanks for the link!

Switzerland
View Profile

Ok, this is my design I finally came up with:

And a description of the full project on my blog.

Cumming, GA
Edison Member
Ultimate DIY: Arduino
View Profile

For about $3 you can by a component from Digikey, the Micrel MIC2545 that essentially does what you need without very much complexity.   Added
 bonus:  It's Fully USB compliant...   so no fear of worst case scenario hurting your device.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MIC2545A-1YM/576-1086-ND/771555

http://teacher.en.rmutt.ac.th/ktw/Resources/PC%20Interface%20softwares%20&%20Documents/DataSheet/USB/UsbBookNote/Chapter13/Micrel/MIC2545ds.pdf

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: