Go Down

Topic: IR Receiver Underwater? (Read 2860 times) previous topic - next topic

encryptor

Jan 19, 2013, 06:50 am Last Edit: Jan 19, 2013, 07:15 am by encryptor Reason: 1
haha!  Yes spying on hotel guest in the hotel pool wouldn't be smart.  I was thinking more development in the pool and later be able to spy on fish or other water creatures after development.  Of course to use a camera like I'm saying I'd need the Rasberry Pi and a piece of developed film over the lens to get my x-ray vision on!  If I had a BT module sealed in a tupperware float would it still be able to communicate close to 10 meters?  What if I vacuumed sealed the BT Module with piece of Styrofoam using the Food Saver Vacuum Sealer?  Then some silicone epoxy or Gorilla glue epoxy to water proof around wires.

BTW, tonight I tried to listen to a loud stereo from underwater and could barely hear a thing.  I can understand why the same goes for IR waves lengths.  It's like hitting a thick brick wall.

I'm thinking about giving an IR receiver or BT module commands at sea level which would send the submarine into a deep dive for 10 seconds in whichever direction I've chosen.  Commands like dive for 5 seconds and then swim up for 5 seconds, or dive for 5 seconds and turn right for 5 more seconds, or dive for 5 seconds and turn left for 5 more seconds.
peace*&^

cjdelphi

What if you got some epoxy and sealed water tight a piezo speaker, have it generate different tones and depending on the tone, it performs different actions?  Dolphis and Wales use sound waves... right?

Grumpy_Mike

Dolphis and Wales use sound waves... right?

Yes but they are not sealed in epoxy are they?

encryptor

What if you got some epoxy and sealed water tight a piezo speaker, have it generate different tones and depending on the tone, it performs different actions?  Dolphis and Wales use sound waves... right?

I just bought some Gorilla Glue Epoxy.  I'm not sure I quite understand your idea.  I'm thinking a piezo buzzer facing out of the hull and transmitting sound waves to sea creatures to see if they respond?.  lol
peace*&^

AWOL

Its dead easy and pretty difficult to go wrong.

Are you Jeremy Clarkson?

Another problem with IR - put of your diving mask, and lie on your back on the bottom of a deepish swimming pool, looking straight up at the water's surface.
Due to total internal reflection, you'll see the world above as a circle, and then you'll see the reflection of bottom of the pool.
If your IR transmitter is outside this circle, you won't receive signal.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

encryptor

good point.  I like the idea of using sound waves to communicate with the submarine.  I'd use a piezo buzzer because it would be louder.  Yes/No?  Then measure the sound waves in the pool and program submarine to change direction by hearing responses to sound waves frequencies.  Communicate like a whale! 8)
peace*&^

wwbrown

IR gets absorbed by water very rapidly probably within 1,000 wavelengths or so so your comms range would be extremely limited.

dc42

I'd use a piezo buzzer because it would be louder.  Yes/No?  Then measure the sound waves in the pool and program submarine to change direction by hearing responses to sound waves frequencies.  Communicate like a whale! 8)

That's not likely to work unless you use transducers designed for underwater use - see my reply #8.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

mrburnette

4 -5 feet is not too deep, could you use plastic fiberoptic cable and a surface buoy?  And a modulated 5mW laser may be better than the IR signal, especially range and power.  Use a phototransistor for detecting the laser pulses... I've done similar around the lab for transmitting Morse Code between Arduinos and the phototransistor works even in ambient light - but you may wish to consider a optical bandpass filter anyway.

Just a thought... but it does make things more complex.

Ray

Go Up