Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: IR Receiver Underwater?  (Read 2351 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

haha!  Yes spying on hotel guest in the hotel pool wouldn't be smart.  I was thinking more development in the pool and later be able to spy on fish or other water creatures after development.  Of course to use a camera like I'm saying I'd need the Rasberry Pi and a piece of developed film over the lens to get my x-ray vision on!  If I had a BT module sealed in a tupperware float would it still be able to communicate close to 10 meters?  What if I vacuumed sealed the BT Module with piece of Styrofoam using the Food Saver Vacuum Sealer?  Then some silicone epoxy or Gorilla glue epoxy to water proof around wires.

BTW, tonight I tried to listen to a loud stereo from underwater and could barely hear a thing.  I can understand why the same goes for IR waves lengths.  It's like hitting a thick brick wall.

I'm thinking about giving an IR receiver or BT module commands at sea level which would send the submarine into a deep dive for 10 seconds in whichever direction I've chosen.  Commands like dive for 5 seconds and then swim up for 5 seconds, or dive for 5 seconds and turn right for 5 more seconds, or dive for 5 seconds and turn left for 5 more seconds.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:15:02 am by encryptor » Logged

peace*&^

Faraday Member
View Profile

What if you got some epoxy and sealed water tight a piezo speaker, have it generate different tones and depending on the tone, it performs different actions?  Dolphis and Wales use sound waves... right?

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Dolphis and Wales use sound waves... right?
Yes but they are not sealed in epoxy are they?

View Profile

What if you got some epoxy and sealed water tight a piezo speaker, have it generate different tones and depending on the tone, it performs different actions?  Dolphis and Wales use sound waves... right?

I just bought some Gorilla Glue Epoxy.  I'm not sure I quite understand your idea.  I'm thinking a piezo buzzer facing out of the hull and transmitting sound waves to sea creatures to see if they respond?.  lol

peace*&^

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Its dead easy and pretty difficult to go wrong.
Are you Jeremy Clarkson?

Another problem with IR - put of your diving mask, and lie on your back on the bottom of a deepish swimming pool, looking straight up at the water's surface.
Due to total internal reflection, you'll see the world above as a circle, and then you'll see the reflection of bottom of the pool.
If your IR transmitter is outside this circle, you won't receive signal.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

View Profile

good point.  I like the idea of using sound waves to communicate with the submarine.  I'd use a piezo buzzer because it would be louder.  Yes/No?  Then measure the sound waves in the pool and program submarine to change direction by hearing responses to sound waves frequencies.  Communicate like a whale! smiley-cool

peace*&^

Arduino rocks
View Profile

IR gets absorbed by water very rapidly probably within 1,000 wavelengths or so so your comms range would be extremely limited.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

I'd use a piezo buzzer because it would be louder.  Yes/No?  Then measure the sound waves in the pool and program submarine to change direction by hearing responses to sound waves frequencies.  Communicate like a whale! smiley-cool

That's not likely to work unless you use transducers designed for underwater use - see my reply #8.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Atlanta, USA
Edison Member
AKA: Ray Burne
View Profile

4 -5 feet is not too deep, could you use plastic fiberoptic cable and a surface buoy?  And a modulated 5mW laser may be better than the IR signal, especially range and power.  Use a phototransistor for detecting the laser pulses... I've done similar around the lab for transmitting Morse Code between Arduinos and the phototransistor works even in ambient light - but you may wish to consider a optical bandpass filter anyway.

Just a thought... but it does make things more complex.

Ray

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: