Go Down

Topic: Having trouble with MOSFET (Read 799 times) previous topic - next topic

ticklechicken

Thanks for the help everyone.

Firstly, do you know how the relay is wired up?

Are you controlling the circuit between the power + and the relay, or between the relay and - ?

If the former (which is most likely), then you really need a P channel MOSFET, as that is much better at high side switching.

Here is the schematic from the generator.  I highlighted the two wires I'm tapping into for the remote start (red and red/white).  From what I can tell, I'm controlling between the power and the relay, as Chagrin stated.  I did test this with a relay and got everything to work.  I wanted to use a MOSFET due to space constraints and I thought it was a simple swap.

So I need a P channel instead of the N channel that I have?  I'll look into that.  If anyone has any good links for tutorials, I appreciate it.

Do you have 0 volts on the Arduino going to 0 volts on you controlled circuit?

Yes, they are all grounded together.  This is easy since I'm powering the Arduino off the generator battery.

You will need a flyback diode across the relay winding to prevent inductive spikes damaging the MOSFET.

I thought that was only needed if the MOSFET was controlling something with a winding like a motor.  Since I'm controlling a relay, I thought the diode wasn't needed.

majenko

I thought that was only needed if the MOSFET was controlling something with a winding like a motor.  Since I'm controlling a relay, I thought the diode wasn't needed.

What do you think makes a relay work?  Magic Cheese?
Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

ticklechicken

Somehow in my mind, I interpreted "something with a winding" as "something with a moving armature".  I didn't count the winding on the solenoid portion of the relay.  But thinking about it now, I see it.

smeezekitty

Somehow in my mind, I interpreted "something with a winding" as "something with a moving armature".  I didn't count the winding on the solenoid portion of the relay.  But thinking about it now, I see it.

LOL Usually I find relays to be much more inductive than motors.
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Go Up