Go Down

Topic: EthernetLib: query for MAC addresses in subnet to get IP of other device(s) (Read 253 times) previous topic - next topic

i'd like to query for some/all MAC addresses in my subnet to find out the IP address of my own devices.

- all my devices have a specific MAC with the prefix of #AB:CD:xxxx
- after startup every device wants to know which devices are alive and get the given IP-address (given by DHCP)

is this possible with W5100 and what could be the best way to query for a IP/MAC? (ARP table)

While the W5100 does send out ARP-requests to query the ethernet-address of remote peer, it doesn't provide a user-accessible ARP-table. So you can read the ethernet-addess of the remote peer from a connected socket, but not ethernet-addesses of other hosts on the net. Handling the ARP-protocoll to build an ARP-table would have to be done by the MCU using the 'MAC Raw Mode' the W5100 supports for socket 0 (See W5100 Datasheet section 5.2.4 'MAC Raw'). There's no support for that in the Arduino Ethernet-lib though, so you'd have to roll your own code. You might want to make use of the arp-code in Adam Dunkels µIP-stack that is capable of handing ARP. You'd need to write a small driver that translates in between µIP and W5100 for that.

- Norbert

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131