Go Down

Topic: Having trouble with the serial input (Read 325 times) previous topic - next topic

mewshi

So, I'm writing a thing I want to use to monitor incoming messages (yes, terribly exciting, I know!)  Problem is, when I hit the button (which is hooked up to an interrupt that runs a function designed to shut off the LEDs) it just temporarily interrupts the blinking.  What's going on here?

Code: [Select]
const int ledPinSkype = 8;
const int ledPinIRC = 4;
const int swiPinIRQ = 0;
const int blkFrq = 100;
int signal;
long blinkers = 0;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(ledPinSkype, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(ledPinIRC, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(swiPinIRQ, INPUT);
  attachInterrupt(swiPinIRQ, resetBlink, RISING);
}

void loop() {
  SerialMonitor();
}

void SerialMonitor() { // if there's something from the serial, blink the appropriate lights
  int incoming = 0;
  if (Serial.available() > 0) {
    incoming = Serial.read();
    Serial.println(incoming);
    blinkLight(incoming);
  }

}

void blinkLight(int signal) { // controls the blinking of the lights
  if (signal == 48) {
    while (blinkers < 10000){
      digitalWrite(ledPinSkype, HIGH);
      delay(blkFrq);
      digitalWrite(ledPinSkype, LOW);
      delay(blkFrq);
      blinkers++;
    }
  }
  if (signal == 49) {
    while (blinkers < 10000) {
      digitalWrite(ledPinIRC, HIGH);
      delay(blkFrq);
      digitalWrite(ledPinIRC, LOW);
      delay(blkFrq);
    }
  }
}

void resetBlink() { // this SHOULD be resetting the blinking.  Right now, it just... temporarily interrupts it.  Harhar.
  digitalWrite(ledPinSkype, LOW);
  Serial.end();
  Serial.begin(9600);
  loop();
}

Any help would be appreciated! :)

billroy

This may not be your bug, but I can't see where blinkers gets reset to zero after being pushed to 10000.

-br

mewshi

I had that in there originally.  However, even putting it back in it STILL doesn't help fix this issue.  This is very very frustrating for me.

I think I may have come across the issue, though, or at least something that may help uncover the issue.  I changed the blinkers threshold to 50, so it shuts off after a few seconds of blinking.  Now, once it's shut off, it should allow for input from the serial monitor again, but it doesn't...

PaulS

You should NEVER call loop(). Period.

Code: [Select]
  if (signal == 49) {
    while (blinkers < 10000) {
      digitalWrite(ledPinIRC, HIGH);
      delay(blkFrq);
      delay(blkFrq);
    }

If a 49 comes in (why the heck aren't you making it easy and testing for '1'?), this is an infinite loop. Hardly a good idea.

What is it you are attempting to do, anyway? What is generating the interrupt? Why?

mewshi

This is supposed to be a visual notifier for Skype and my IRC client.

Once I removed the blinking, everything worked fine, oddly enough.  The button that generates the interrupt to turn the LEDs off worked absolutely fine.  Any idea why the blinking messed it up?

Go Up