Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Need to build a rotating mirror like this  (Read 1777 times)
California
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Anyone know of places to buy this kind of thing in NYC? I'm sick of shipping stuff from China ;p
I love the optical sensor idea... have an opaque tab pass by it once per mirror rotation, yeah? Maybe I can source one from a discarded object. I believe old mouse wheels use this... what else?
newark.com? How far of a drive is it to Jersey from where you are?

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Anyone know of places to buy this kind of thing in NYC? I'm sick of shipping stuff from China ;p
I love the optical sensor idea... have an opaque tab pass by it once per mirror rotation, yeah? Maybe I can source one from a discarded object. I believe old mouse wheels use this... what else?
newark.com? How far of a drive is it to Jersey from where you are?

Speaking of New Jersey, I once had to go back there to attend a company hardware training class in the 70s for several weeks. We took a trip one weekend day to check out the Edmund Scientific store. I had seen their mail order catalog for years, but actually going to their store was a real treat. They had everything out for display that they carried in their catalog which quite surprised me. They also had a real cool functional war surplus submarine periscope setup in the entry lobby that was very impressive to look through. Cool memories.

Lefty

View Profile

Good suggestions, but Newark looks like it ships primarily from the UK and I need a few parts here and there. I've taken to finding old electronics and taking them apart to get some IR sensors from wheel mice, but can't for the life of me get it to work.

First of all, it's really difficult to tell if the IR LED is emitting anything at all ;p I'm also not sure if I should be reading the sensor analog or digital, and my analog pins have crazy amounts of noise on them. Yikes.

God Member
View Profile

I seen galvos being suggested and I would bet my dollar on them working the best as well, but another option is a permanent magnet synchronous motor. these are famously used in movie projectors. They synchronize to the frequency that they are being fed and are highly accurate when it comes to speed (assuming your frequency input is accurate.)

But galvos are definitely a better way. You might find a source in analog meter movement. Your mirror will need to be very light (think mylar)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: