Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Help with PWM led setup 7X2  (Read 650 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I posed on here a while back about making a integrated turn signal/brake light and im finally able to start working on it again.  I changed a few things to hopefully make it brighter and easier.

I will be using these led's since they have a better beam angle and are much brighter that my previous ones.
http://lighthouseleds.com/5mm-piranha-led-red-ultra-bright-10-000-mcd.html

Can my arduino Uno r3 handle this or will i need shift registers and led drivers?  Would esentially make a 7x2 matrix?  What wiring would be best for this and help with fluid animations?

It will be basic operation for the most part.
       Motorcycle on (no brakes) = X% brightness
       Brake applied = 100% brightness
       L/R signals = 100% brightness fading from bottom to top similar to this video  http://youtu.be/5ubGnuJhvsY?t=37s

How would i use the arduino to read the left/r signals activated and then trigger the animation?

I tried looking for a while to find a similar code that i can use but didnt find much.  I would appreciate any help

* V board sch.png (2.97 KB, 168x458 - viewed 9 times.)

* V board.png (6.02 KB, 373x373 - viewed 9 times.)

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Can my arduino Uno r3 handle this or will i need shift registers and led drivers?  Would esentially make a 7x2 matrix?  What wiring would be best for this and help with fluid animations?

Using a LED driver is always a good idea. Messing about with resistors, etc. will always lead to sub-optimal brightness control.

Would esentially make a 7x2 matrix?  What wiring would be best for this and help with fluid animations?It will be basic operation

for the most part.
       Motorcycle on (no brakes) = X% brightness
       Brake applied = 100% brightness
       L/R signals = 100% brightness fading from bottom to top similar to this video  http://youtu.be/5ubGnuJhvsY?t=37s

14 LEDs with variable brightness says "TLC5940" to me.

How would i use the arduino to read the left/r signals activated and then trigger the animation?

I dunno, I can't see your bike from here...

Are the original lights LEDs or light bulbs? Where do the wires from the switches go? Is there a control box full of electronics anywhere?

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

For maximum brightness, use an LED driver such as the TLC5940. If you can accept slightly lower brightness, connect the LEDs in a 7x2 matrix, with 7 series resistors and 2 transistors.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Manchester, NH
View Profile

If you can live with 6 channels, an Uno has 6 PWM channels and I'll bet you can come up with a clever way to mux the left and right sides (the ""2" part of the 6x2 matrix). You could possibly use a 7th digital channel and that one could either be 0-100% or you can write some code to PWM that digital channel. I believe the Uno can handle this on its own, with a few resistors and transistors.

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi,

Which method did you run with in the end, and did you try them at 1/10th duty cycle at 1kHz PWM with 75mA current ?  How do they look?

Geoff

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: