Go Down

Topic: Why use bootloader in ATtiny85 ? (Read 203 times) previous topic - next topic

Nandika

Hi Friends,

I have successfully programmed ATtiny85 using Arduino MEGA.

I used instructions of this link,

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/arjun/programming-attiny85-with-arduino-uno-afb829

According to above link, need to burn bootloader. But,I was able to upload the Blink code without burning bootloader also.

But, Blinking speed is different.
ATtiny85 without bootloader has slower blinking speed than other one. The ATtiny85 which has bootloader is correctly Blinking.(It shows given delay).

What is the reason for that?
What is the relationship between Cycle frequency of ATtiny85 and the bootloader?

zhomeslice

Hi Friends,

I have successfully programmed ATtiny85 using Arduino MEGA.

I used instructions of this link,

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/arjun/programming-attiny85-with-arduino-uno-afb829

According to above link, need to burn bootloader. But,I was able to upload the Blink code without burning bootloader also.

But, Blinking speed is different.
ATtiny85 without bootloader has slower blinking speed than other one. The ATtiny85 which has bootloader is correctly Blinking.(It shows given delay).

What is the reason for that?
What is the relationship between Cycle frequency of ATtiny85 and the bootloader?
The "burn bootloader" sets the fuses to properly set the speed of the chip 
HC

johnwasser

When the chip leaves the factory the fuses are set for an internal 8 MHz RC clock and an initial clock pre-scale of 8.  That means that until you change the fuses (using Burn Bootloader) the chip runs at 1 MHz.  The Arduino core expects it to be running at 8 (or maybe 16) MHz.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1G2qoGwMRXx8az71DVP1E81jShxtbSh5Hp

Nandika

That means 'Burn Bootloader' changes pre-scale to 1 ?

johnwasser

That means 'Burn Bootloader' changes pre-scale to 1 ?
Yes.  It clears the fuse that says "set the prescale to 8 on reset".   It is probably also setting some of the other configuration fuses, like the brownout detection level and such.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1G2qoGwMRXx8az71DVP1E81jShxtbSh5Hp

Nandika

Thank you very much for all information.  :)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy