Go Down

Topic: Data transmission with a modulated LASER (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

djjoshuad

There are many different wireless optical technologies, including ones that use lasers.  If your project allows it, you could simply borrow from some of the already proven technologies.  IIRC, there are digital and analog solutions.  I worked for a budding technology startup years ago, before the big .com bust.  Our major focus was finding ways to provide very high speed data connections in existing construction areas (dense urban, etc) without the expense and trouble of tearing up streets or tunneling under things.  Optical wireless was something we spent a lot of time on... but it's been about 14-15 years so my memory is a bit fuzzy ;)

Grumpy_Mike

i was just wondering if it was possible to transmit something more complex like a computer image or any type of file in general.

File yes,
Image no. - Not because of any difficulty with the laser but the arduino is too limited in memory and slow to transfer an image in a decent amount of time.

Do not use on / off to modulate the laser for binary 0 and 1, use Manchester encoding.

zoomkat

Or use what ever they use in the fiber optics cables. Seems to work well there.
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

Grumpy_Mike

Or use what ever they use in the fiber optics cables. Seems to work well there.

You might not have noticed that fibre optics is not air.
There is no alignment problem and no light interference.

zoomkat

You might not have noticed that fibre optics is not air.
There is no alignment problem and no light interference.

Is that better or worse? Line of sight does not have bends and twist like cables, and clean air may have better optical clarity than the tranamission material used in the fiber cables.
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

Go Up