Go Down

Topic: Need help planning power management (Read 561 times) previous topic - next topic

Just getting started with my first long-term project. I keep getting lost a bit in terminology and techniques on how I can properly power my set up. I know my UNO is powered by 5-12v and has a output of 5v to anything connected.

I am connecting 3 Meanwell ELN-60 (http://www.meanwell.com/search/eln-60/default.htm) to 3 separate CREE LED strings. For these strings to be dimmable, they require an additional 0-10v power supply to be attached. Here lies my question:

How can I turn this into a ~1 plug solution? Right now I would have 3 AC plugs for the drivers, 3 for the dimming functionality, one for the UNO, and a few others for various additional components.

Is there a way to power all of these and just regulate voltages down when needed so that I don't need 2 power strips just for my LEDs?

Side Note: This is all going on into an aquarium controller. I know there are a lot of tutorials around and have done a lot of searching and researching already but no one seems to address this issue. Not sure if there is a solution or not but any help is much appreciated.

djjoshuad

The data sheet on the ELN-60 says that the dimmer can be controlled using PWM.  I think I'd explore that, and build a single power supply for the rest.  I'm betting an old ATX power supply could be used for all the DC components for an easy(-ish) solution.  Or if you want to get your hands a bit more dirty, you could certainly build a single 110VAC power supply that has the exact AC and DC rails you need... be careful playing with mains voltage, though.  A power strip may not be that bad when you consider the implications of a faulty homebrew 110VAC solution.

The data sheet on the ELN-60 says that the dimmer can be controlled using PWM.  I think I'd explore that, and build a single power supply for the rest.  I'm betting an old ATX power supply could be used for all the DC components for an easy(-ish) solution.  Or if you want to get your hands a bit more dirty, you could certainly build a single 110VAC power supply that has the exact AC and DC rails you need... be careful playing with mains voltage, though.  A power strip may not be that bad when you consider the implications of a faulty homebrew 110VAC solution.

That is actually something I have missed in the datasheet so thanks for pointing that out. I do not have the drivers yet so I cannot really test but further down in the datasheet it mentions a 10v PWM is required thus, I assume this is why people connect an additional 10v supply in order to get the full dimming functionality. For example:

I have looked into using an ATX supply a bit and it seems like I might go that route. It is a little intimidating though considering the level of power coming from the supply but it seems like there is enough guidance out there.

Thanks djjoshuad

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy