Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Need help planning power management  (Read 470 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Just getting started with my first long-term project. I keep getting lost a bit in terminology and techniques on how I can properly power my set up. I know my UNO is powered by 5-12v and has a output of 5v to anything connected.

I am connecting 3 Meanwell ELN-60 (http://www.meanwell.com/search/eln-60/default.htm) to 3 separate CREE LED strings. For these strings to be dimmable, they require an additional 0-10v power supply to be attached. Here lies my question:

How can I turn this into a ~1 plug solution? Right now I would have 3 AC plugs for the drivers, 3 for the dimming functionality, one for the UNO, and a few others for various additional components.

Is there a way to power all of these and just regulate voltages down when needed so that I don't need 2 power strips just for my LEDs?

Side Note: This is all going on into an aquarium controller. I know there are a lot of tutorials around and have done a lot of searching and researching already but no one seems to address this issue. Not sure if there is a solution or not but any help is much appreciated.

Corinth, TX
View Profile

The data sheet on the ELN-60 says that the dimmer can be controlled using PWM.  I think I'd explore that, and build a single power supply for the rest.  I'm betting an old ATX power supply could be used for all the DC components for an easy(-ish) solution.  Or if you want to get your hands a bit more dirty, you could certainly build a single 110VAC power supply that has the exact AC and DC rails you need... be careful playing with mains voltage, though.  A power strip may not be that bad when you consider the implications of a faulty homebrew 110VAC solution.

View Profile

The data sheet on the ELN-60 says that the dimmer can be controlled using PWM.  I think I'd explore that, and build a single power supply for the rest.  I'm betting an old ATX power supply could be used for all the DC components for an easy(-ish) solution.  Or if you want to get your hands a bit more dirty, you could certainly build a single 110VAC power supply that has the exact AC and DC rails you need... be careful playing with mains voltage, though.  A power strip may not be that bad when you consider the implications of a faulty homebrew 110VAC solution.

That is actually something I have missed in the datasheet so thanks for pointing that out. I do not have the drivers yet so I cannot really test but further down in the datasheet it mentions a 10v PWM is required thus, I assume this is why people connect an additional 10v supply in order to get the full dimming functionality. For example:

I have looked into using an ATX supply a bit and it seems like I might go that route. It is a little intimidating though considering the level of power coming from the supply but it seems like there is enough guidance out there.

Thanks djjoshuad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: