Go Down

Topic: I2C digpot on Due (Read 680 times) previous topic - next topic

First of all, I'd like to thank admin for helping me to register (turns out it was a problem with IE :0)

I am currently working on a project where I'd like to use a two digital potentiometers.
I just bought an Arduino and don't have much experience with microcontrollers (unless you count a "hello world" LCD project on a PIC about 15 years ago). However, I am reasonably good with analog electronics (I know how to use an op-amp) and have a fair bit of experience with programming. I am also good at electrical measurements (part of my job). Hence, I thought this should be straightforward....

I  trying to use a 10K potentiometer controlled via I2C (using the wire lib), a microchip MCP45X1 which looked like a good "generic" pot.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/22107a.pdf

However, I can't communicate with it. I've tried a program I found in a tutorial
http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/tutorial-arduino-and-the-i2c-bus/

(yes, I know it is not exactly the same part, but as far as I can tell the I2C address and the commands are the same. )

I've also tried the I2Cscanner program, it can't find a device...

I am powering the pot from the 3.3V output on the Due (which-as far as I can tell from the datasheet for the MCP45X1 should be fine for the I2C communication). I am using SDA and SCL on pins 20 and 21 on the Due.

I've mounted the MCP45X1 on an MSOP adapter (soldered under a microscope with a good soldering station, I am doing this at work)

So far I've
*Tried with/without external 4K7 pullup resistors.
*Tried pulling the hardware address pin (A0) on the MCP45X1 both high and low.
*Checked the connections a number of times (beeped it with a multimeter etc). I've also checked that the MCP45X1 has 3.3V between Vdd and Vss.
*Tried two different chips just in case I managed to burn the first one.

I've had zero luck so far. 

Does anyone have ideas of what else I can try?
Have I misunderstood the datasheet of the MCP45X1? It should work with 3.3V, shouldn't it?

velon

SlightlyMadScientist friend, I think it's a waste of time trying to work with the ARDUINO DUO (often brick) that have gotten us this IDE. As I have read for less in IPad, dismissed the charge.

It would be nice to be moved these "bricks" with a new version and do not give me that can not be at 5V, because the product is encarecería.

A case not lose more if they continue with this product so darn deplorable.

Really sorry, and I would be more positive, but not lead me to it. Be fair and withdraw the product from the market soon.

Translation by google

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy