Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Author Topic: Measuring a very fine wire with 10 µm precision  (Read 4505 times)
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Where I worked we held close tolerances and sold parts that met them. We had plaques from RCA and Kodak for going a year at a time with zero rejects. We weren't trying to hold any better than we could make but we did precision work within tolerances every day.
Part of it is not trying to hold impossible tolerances, but you have to know not only what's possible but what's practical in order to do business. Not just theory, we made the parts.

Why not turn the windings at 1 diameter + (tolerance * 110%) apart per turn? When you come back across the new layer will sit on top. Or is there some reason why the windings have to jam in side to side all along the coil? Does this wire vary thickness by even 10%? You'd get a tighter pack if the diameters set in a hex pattern anyway.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

You'd get a tighter pack if the diameters set in a hex pattern anyway.
I hear hands on experience!

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

You'd get a tighter pack if the diameters set in a hex pattern anyway.
I hear hands on experience!

I don't see how they can do, because alternate layers are wound in opposite directions.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

They could still be sure how many turns to make per layer without needing to monitor wire thickness. Even the wire should have dimensions and tolerance.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

All the automatic or semi-automatic coil winders I've ever seen just relied on a turns counter for feedback and assuming normal tolerances of the bobbin size and wire gage, I would think it would turn out very repeatable induction values, and many of them turned out beautiful looking windings. One could always measure the final induction value and trim if needed. As far as creating a 'perfect' symmetrical magnetic field, I have no idea how critical or difficult that can be nor if wire gauge variation would have an effect, turns is turns.

Lefty

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Jump to: