Robot arm

Hi,

This is what i have made over the weekend. It is very basic robot arm made from children's constructor. I always wanted to build one. If you have some clever designs, please share them below.

For the future I'm planing to make high precision one, maybe from aluminium.

Cheers

http://total-destruction.tk/2013/01/robot-arm/

Nice!

Brilliant... my daughter is working on something similar, not quite so elaborate as a "proof of concept" and she's currently figuring out how to make a simple grip.

That's a very very nice piece of work!

Karma++

JimboZA:
Brilliant... my daughter is working on something similar, not quite so elaborate as a "proof of concept" and she's currently figuring out how to make a simple grip.

That's a very very nice piece of work!

Karma++

This is so cool! If you want i can make some close up shots of the grip?

This is so cool! If you want i can make some close up shots of the grip?

That would be nice yes.... but I won't tell her about the close ups so she has to do some thinking... We'll keep them in reserve for future reference (she's not a member here). 8)

Nice job, is that 'meccano' you used to build it?
Could become a number of useful tools.

Yeah, looks like Meccano (aka Erector in USA) to me. Great stuff to use.... just wish it had no holes sometimes so one can drill where needed. For example the spacing between the two holes on a servo doesn't fit Meccano spacing.

I'm on the look out for some "Meccanoo-like" strip with no holes, maybe in aluminium so it can be bent more easily.

pYro_65:
Nice job, is that 'meccano' you used to build it?
Could become a number of useful tools.

Yes, this is correct. I don't have access to CNC router, so this is one way I prototype. You can bend the parts, so that they can fit together and everything is connected with bolts and nuts. But this is also the problem. You can't make very symmetrical construction, because every part is little different from one another. The bolts and nuts get loose.

The training course I was to run today just got canned so I'm going to skive off and have a look round the hardware shops and see what I can find.

@JimboZA

I hot glue the servo to the strips. It seems weird, but it is strong and it very easy to disassemble later. I use an x-acto knife to scrape the silicon.

This is the project for my diploma (lots of hot glue and isolation tape):
http://total-destruction.tk/2012/08/solar-tracker-project-2-0/

Yeah, hot glue is great, I don't even own a gun, just a lighter and a stick of glue has sufficed all my needs.