Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 8*8 led matrix with 74hc595  (Read 1020 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

i want to make LED screen using a lot of 8*8 led matrix  and i need to send data from arduino to show in it , i need simple code to show any letter on it , can i found library like lcd library,i need to use this matrix like lcd define the row and coulmn then send data will written and disappear if i clear it 

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

One approach is to use a MAX7219 for each 8x8 matrix. $1.25 from taydaelectronics.com
They can be daisy chained so only a few arduino pins are needed to control them as one long chain.
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=max7219

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

I finished  hardware connections with two 74hc595 for one 8*8 led matrix , i need simple code to set cursor then print data into led matrix or clear it or any library can help me

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Post your schematic, no one can offer code without seeing the hardware it is driving.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

schematic

* Arduino_LedMatrix_schematic.png (20.11 KB, 604x600 - viewed 73 times.)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Any details on the matrix? Like which pins are anodes or cathodes?
As drawn, you should multiplex LED by LED.  Code was posted on doing just that over the weekend I believe.
The 74HC595 is only rated to sink/source 70mA total per the package; if you drive all 8 LEDs (in a columm or row) from 1 '595 with more than 8-9 mA, and sink all that current with 1 pin in the other '595, the 2nd '595 will see too much current.

View Profile

Any details on the matrix? Like which pins are anodes or cathodes?
As drawn, you should multiplex LED by LED.  Code was posted on doing just that over the weekend I believe.
The 74HC595 is only rated to sink/source 70mA total per the package; if you drive all 8 LEDs (in a columm or row) from 1 '595 with more than 8-9 mA, and sink all that current with 1 pin in the other '595, the 2nd '595 will see too much current.

Row anode

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: