Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Solid state relay  (Read 411 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,
    I am following this tutorial about  ac phase control with the arduino: http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/ACPhaseControl

Quote from the tutorial :
This sketch uses a 'Random Phase' or 'Non Zero Crossing' SSR (Im using the Omron G3MC-202PL DC5) to act as an A/C switch and an opto-isolataed AC zero crossing dectector (the H11AA1) to give us a zero-crossing reference"

My local store sells the H11AA1 , but there seems to be no Non Zero Crossing SSR. I just need to know if I could any of the SSR available on the website: http://www.abra-electronics.com/search.php?search_query=Solid+state&x=0&y=0

Thank you
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:37:27 am by playagood » Logged

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

A zero crossing SSR only turns on or off when the AC wave is at zero volts. A non-zero crossing SSR can turn on at any point, but again can only turn off when the AC is at zero volts.

If you're trying to dim a light or speed control a universal motor then you need the non-zero crossing type. If you're controlling a heating element then it's really not necessary; you can get enough granularity switching the element on/off 120 times/sec. It depends on the application.

Probably worth mentioning that you just need a triac and an optocoupler to replicate an SSR. Here's an example of an AC dimmer project. I'm sure you can find many more out there.

View Profile

Ok Thank you! and it is way much simpler than the Arduino website.  Can I use a "standard" triac instead of the BT139(snubberless triac?)

View Profile

Don't take this for the absolute truth, but I think I can. I will try it with TIC246D Transistor Triac 16A 400V.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Yes that looks a suitable Triac to try.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: