Go Down

Topic: My 3x3x3 and 5x5x5 LED cube (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic

retrolefty

You're absolutely right with the statement you made. However I think a good meter will be a good investment though(for my study and other projects in the near future) even if it isnt really meaningful for these kinds of projects yet.

I agree mostly about good test equipment being a near lifetime investment that will pay good dividends for a long long time. After working for decades in the electronics industry I found that fluke meters and tektronix scopes were all I ever wanted to own for personal use.

But the point is that arduino beginners should be encouraged that their first purchase to make after their arduino board is a DMM, well before obtaining any other components and/or modules for their various projects. So the $10 DMMs serve a good purpose in at least getting them started on the right path. Many young people starting out just can't yet afford the investment costs of say a Fluke meter, but can swing for a $10 DMM which is much better then no DMM at all which all too many appear to have.

Lefty

CrossRoads

We just got my son a $19 extech meter, sprung for a little extra because this one also came with a thermocouple probe.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

retrolefty

We just got my son a $19 extech meter, sprung for a little extra because this one also came with a thermocouple probe.

Cool, and if he misbehaves tell him you will use that probe to take his temperature the 'old fashion way'.  ;)

Lefty

CrossRoads

We got him a $119 Weller soldering station too, so I think he'll behave.  Off to college in the fall...
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

retrolefty

We got him a $119 Weller soldering station too, so I think he'll behave.  Off to college in the fall...

What, no pocket protector? What will the other nerds think of him?

Lefty

Go Up