Go Down

Topic: File Structure, How to work with it (Read 397 times) previous topic - next topic

XaTrIxX

Hi!

I tried the basics and I fail. I simply want to include a .h and a .c file in the same folder as my main program sits.

I have

Main.ino -> contains setup() and loop()
MyLib.h
MyLib.c

All in the same folder.

Main.ino has
#include "MyLib.h"

MyLib.h has
#include "Arduino.h"

and MyLib.c has
#include "Arduino.h"
#include "MyLib.h"

When compiling it says: MyLib.h No such file or directory. Where is it searching? I didn't use #include <MyLib.h>

pYro_65

Jan 22, 2013, 04:13 pm Last Edit: Jan 22, 2013, 04:15 pm by pYro_65 Reason: 1
Use the open button to re-open your sketch so the tabs appear identifying the .h & .c, also gcc is a c++ compiler. You can stick with .cpp files.

Restarting the IDE is necessary when adding new libraries to the libraries folder.

PaulS

MyLib.c

Unless you really know what you are doing, this is not a good idea.

Is your sketch really called Main.ino? Calling a sketch Main is really not a good idea.

When you open the sketch, do all the files open in separate tabs?

Specific error messages are a good idea, not what you remember of them.

XaTrIxX

Oh, I even had to restart the application. Funny.

Well, if its g++ I can also use C files :) Thanks for answering.

PaulS

Well, if its g++ I can also use C files

You can, but g++ does name mangling on C++ files, but not on C files. The C++ code, including the sketch, won't be able to call the C functions, unless you use the proper directives in the header file.

MarkT

If its really a library, why not put it in its own directory under libraries...  That's way it can be shared.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

pYro_65

If its really a library, why not put it in its own directory under libraries...  That's way it can be shared.

Once its built the libraries folder is suitable, not while its in development; example files, additional library files all require a restart to be usable in the IDE, a simple sketch just needs re-opening. This may not seem like much, but can get very frustrating when actively modifying numerous files.

Go Up