Go Down

Topic: Best Capacitors (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

SirNickity

I have that problem with starter kits.  I'm trying to build a library of SMD resistors, for instance.  The only kits I find are either high tolerance (5% film, nah...), or have way too many values.  (I don't need 1.2 and 1.22k..  if I do, I'll order them specifically.)  So, it's back to Digikey ordering each value in a series, but then I see the steep discount at quantities and I find myself ordering 100 each of 20 values and holy cow the costs add up.  :-)

retrolefty

I have that problem with starter kits.  I'm trying to build a library of SMD resistors, for instance.  The only kits I find are either high tolerance (5% film, nah...), or have way too many values.  (I don't need 1.2 and 1.22k..  if I do, I'll order them specifically.)  So, it's back to Digikey ordering each value in a series, but then I see the steep discount at quantities and I find myself ordering 100 each of 20 values and holy cow the costs add up.  :-)

Costs might add up slower here: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/resistors.html

Lefty

SirNickity

Niiiice.  Although I have to assume those aren't thin film.  Not sure how much difference it makes, but I hear they're "quieter" for audio use.  For a penny apiece, I might start here though.  Thanks for the link.

retrolefty

Niiiice.  Although I have to assume those aren't thin film.  Not sure how much difference it makes, but I hear they're "quieter" for audio use.  For a penny apiece, I might start here though.  Thanks for the link.

Audiophiles 'golden ears' hear and say lots of things that never seem to be able to be proven by actual measurements or well designed double blind listening tests, I wouldn't let such 'opinions' guide your selection of components. When you select a resistor it's not like picking out the wine that will go best with your dinner.  ;)

Lefty

SirNickity

True, but measurable differences in Johnson/Nyquist noise is not exactly the same thing as installing a new $1000 power cord.   ;)  Whether it makes a difference within a system... ehh..  *shrug*

Go Up