Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Best Capacitors  (Read 1726 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

+1 for ebay.  Something like this would be a good start:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-Pcs-50-Values-Ceramic-Disc-Capacitors-Kits-New-/130485675439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e618d65af

1000 caps and 50 different values for $6.  There's lots of different cap assortments available.  Don't go too crazy, as caps are so cheap that (to me) it's easier to just add whatever caps you need the order when buying other parts for a project.  Having an assortment on hand to "try things out" is good, though.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

+1 for ebay.  Something like this would be a good start:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-Pcs-50-Values-Ceramic-Disc-Capacitors-Kits-New-/130485675439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e618d65af

1000 caps and 50 different values for $6.  There's lots of different cap assortments available.  Don't go too crazy, as caps are so cheap that (to me) it's easier to just add whatever caps you need the order when buying other parts for a project.  Having an assortment on hand to "try things out" is good, though.

Just what I needed, 20 1pf caps, never going to run out of that popular value ever again.  smiley-grin

Lefty

View Profile

Just what I needed, 20 1pf caps, never going to run out of that popular value ever again.  smiley-grin

Lefty

Yeah, but it was only a dollar more than the smaller assortments...  They get me like that on ebay all the time.

"I know I only need one ne555, but for another dollar I can have 10!"

South England
View Profile

...but you'd never go without festive blinkenlights ever again smiley-grin

More Cowbell
Edison Member
View Profile

Yeah, but it was only a dollar more than the smaller assortments...  They get me like that on ebay all the time.

That gets me at Digikey too.  "I only need 5 over the next year or so but look at that price break at 25 pieces!  ATMega328Ps for life!"  An additional rationalization is that you make the effective shipping cost per piece less too.  Win-Win!   smiley-lol
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:20:30 pm by JoeN » Logged

Vexatious Sampler

Anchorage, AK
Edison Member
View Profile

I have that problem with starter kits.  I'm trying to build a library of SMD resistors, for instance.  The only kits I find are either high tolerance (5% film, nah...), or have way too many values.  (I don't need 1.2 and 1.22k..  if I do, I'll order them specifically.)  So, it's back to Digikey ordering each value in a series, but then I see the steep discount at quantities and I find myself ordering 100 each of 20 values and holy cow the costs add up.  :-)

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

I have that problem with starter kits.  I'm trying to build a library of SMD resistors, for instance.  The only kits I find are either high tolerance (5% film, nah...), or have way too many values.  (I don't need 1.2 and 1.22k..  if I do, I'll order them specifically.)  So, it's back to Digikey ordering each value in a series, but then I see the steep discount at quantities and I find myself ordering 100 each of 20 values and holy cow the costs add up.  :-)

Costs might add up slower here: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/resistors.html

Lefty

Anchorage, AK
Edison Member
View Profile

Niiiice.  Although I have to assume those aren't thin film.  Not sure how much difference it makes, but I hear they're "quieter" for audio use.  For a penny apiece, I might start here though.  Thanks for the link.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

Niiiice.  Although I have to assume those aren't thin film.  Not sure how much difference it makes, but I hear they're "quieter" for audio use.  For a penny apiece, I might start here though.  Thanks for the link.

Audiophiles 'golden ears' hear and say lots of things that never seem to be able to be proven by actual measurements or well designed double blind listening tests, I wouldn't let such 'opinions' guide your selection of components. When you select a resistor it's not like picking out the wine that will go best with your dinner.  smiley-wink

Lefty

Anchorage, AK
Edison Member
View Profile

True, but measurable differences in Johnson/Nyquist noise is not exactly the same thing as installing a new $1000 power cord.   smiley-wink  Whether it makes a difference within a system... ehh..  *shrug*

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: