Arduino Forum upgrade scheduled for Monday, October 20th, 11am-4pm (CEST). Sorry for the inconvenience!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Look what I found...  (Read 3698 times)
Leeds, England
God Member
Quick, chuck it in the bin before the boss finds out...
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

If it's anything like the college I work at one of said kids is presently looking for their misplaced storage medium...

(Ok, I know, they all use USB sticks these days...)

Beginners guide to using the Seeedstudio SIM900 GPRS/GSM Shield

Copenhagen, Denmark
Edison Member
Have you testrun your INO file today?
View Profile

You guys and your new fangled magnetic media.
Oh.. we're on that subject again.... smiley-wink

University: Punch card for FORTRAN. Batch process get your print output. Edit, shuffle and resubmit. Repeat.

First work: Papertape into a PDP-11 (and toggling the bootloader. But then we got a board with 20x16 Diodes in a matrix and an addressdecoder. Some diodes were cut and - tada! - we had a ROM address space with the papertape bootloader)

"Patching" was very real on the papertape. You cut some extra holes or used black tape to block some. (there were some tools/jigs so the holes were proper aligned)

But then things went ... well, modern like. 8" floppies, double the core to 16Kilobytes, even 24K.   smiley-cool

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

.... in the street outside my house this morning.

Wth?

The gods must be crazy.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

http://floppydisk.com/1010.htm

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

I kept some of these for my vintage systems. Was lucky that someone sent me some 5" 360K single side discs to make a copy of dos for the compacq, very first luggable ibm pc and very first compaq.

There is a panel in my work place that someone kept. It's got hundreds of jumper wires on a matrix of holes. He said it was a program someone made. That stuff IS older than punch cards.

Johannesburg. UTC+2
Faraday Member
View Profile

University: Punch card for FORTRAN. Batch process get your print output. Edit, shuffle and resubmit. Repeat.

Me too (WATFOR)... you forgot the "drop on floor and accidentally stomp cards" part.

I remember running back to the computer centre between lectures to fetch print out only to find it hadn't compiled due to a silly syntax error. Then there would be no vacant card punch, then late for next lecture.

What's Jen doin' wit' de Internet?
I'm on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimbrownza

Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Me too (WATFOR)... you forgot the "drop on floor and accidentally stomp cards" part.
That's what the sequence numbers in columns 73-80 are for.  You just put it in a card sorter  smiley

I remember running back to the computer centre between lectures to fetch print out only to find it hadn't compiled due to a silly syntax error. Then there would be no vacant card punch, then late for next lecture.
That's what an exacto knife and scotch tape are for.   smiley  In addition, I recall occasionally having to program in Pascal on an 027 card punch when the 029 card punches were busy, and having to multi-punch things like semicolons.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:26:32 am by MichaelMeissner » Logged

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

There is a panel in my work place that someone kept. It's got hundreds of jumper wires on a matrix of holes. He said it was a program someone made. That stuff IS older than punch cards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_402
Not sure about the model numbers and other specifics, these were just slightly before my time but I do think I remember them being wheeled out the door. I did have an assignment for a few weeks once that involved operating a card sorter. If a jam occurred, it could create quite a mess in a hurry.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Jack,

That looks like it came out the same era as the one at my work place. Must be pretty old. My only experience with punch cards was using them as note cards and bookmarks.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Jack,

That looks like it came out the same era as the one at my work place. Must be pretty old. My only experience with punch cards was using them as note cards and bookmarks.

Liudr, yeah, when I started working they had a "Tabulating Department" that was full of that equipment with those plugboards.  Never became familiar with it as the writing was on the wall and the mainframes were beginning to occupy the next room over.  This is the only souvenir that I managed.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I have these pictures:

* IMAG0581.jpg (184.07 KB, 1024x612 - viewed 21 times.)

* IMAG0582.jpg (191.25 KB, 1024x612 - viewed 22 times.)

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I have these pictures:

We would do well to remember those next time we get stuck debugging code. I sure wouldn't want to debug that thing!

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile

Those plug in wired matrix panel were what we used at a NASA tracking station in the 60s to configure the equipment for the next satellite,  it actually worked very well.
We just had a rack with one panel for each satellite and the main components were connected in a couple of seconds.

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

looks just like my code! smiley

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile

smiley-razz

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Arduino Forum upgrade scheduled for Monday, October 20th, 11am-4pm (CEST). Sorry for the inconvenience!
Jump to: