Go Down

Topic: using arduino to recognise gestures (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

JimboZA

Jan 19, 2013, 04:13 pm Last Edit: Jan 19, 2013, 04:30 pm by JimboZA Reason: 1
I just looked at a sign language chart, see attached, so here's my off-the-top-of-my-head thoughts as clue to how this could be done. (Assuming that's the sign language you're using, I suspect there's more than one protocol.)

With a quick look at the digits 0-9 on the chart, it seems that each finger (and when I say finger I include thumb) has only two positions- extended and folded.

So for a sensor, treating them exactly like pots as shown in this tutorial calibrate the readings into three zones: extended and folded of course, and also an "unknown".

Then read the glove and decide what position each finger is, and Voila!

Over to you... that should get you going? I probably said too much, and deserve the wrath of other posters.

[rant]As is sooooooo often the case, this is a typical example of someone wanting to dive into code without the slightest thought as to what the hell he's trying to do in the first place.  :smiley-yell: [/rant]
Roy from ITCrowd: Have you tried turning it off an on again?
I'm on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimbrownza

wildbill

How many flex sensors are you thinking of using? Apologies if it's explained in your attachment - the Arduino servers don't feel like letting me open it today.

zoomkat

i am trying to learn it by doing it in fritzing... i made a basic circuit ie wen the fkex sensor varies and depending on that the leds will glow... but i dont know how to run it... i have written the code in arduino.... what should i do next...

The link to your project appears to be dead, so not really sure what your project is trying to do. You haven't posted your code. Perhaps you can give a detailed list of the seperate parts of your project, how these parts are expected to work, and what you have accomplished so far in making the parts work.
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

JimboZA

Yep error 503 on that link... would be nice to see the ppt presentation.

JimboZA

i will buy the glove and then embed the flex sensors if possible accelorometer....

You haven't mentioned what the purpose of the accelerometer is?

To me, this project isn't about gestures.... to me a gesture implies movement and perhaps that's where the accelerometer would come in. This project is more about poses, in the sense that it needs to read a set of static, pre-defined "finger configurations".

If it's only the digits 0-9 and if it's the language I posted where a finger is either extended or curled (and an illegal no-mans-land in between) it's actually pretty trivial.

Grumpy_Mike

To me, this project isn't about gestures.... to me a gesture implies movement and perhaps that's where the accelerometer would come in. This project is more about poses,

Exactly.  ]:)
Thinking the project was actually about gestures is what prompted me to write the earlier replies. A crap question always generates a crap reply.

It seem that the project as now framed is much more doable.

You haven't mentioned what the purpose of the accelerometer is?

I suspect just to show if the finger is pointing up or down.
That is possible but requires a bit of skill mounting small surface mounting packages on fabric. Then trying to address all five accelerometer without a ton of wiring is tricky. Most accelerometers are I2C devices but with not that many addresses. The analogue output accelerometers have a small output prone to noise pickup.

JimboZA

A crap question always generates a crap reply.

Or at least a Grumpy one.....

Grumpy_Mike

A crap question always generates a crap reply.

Or at least a Grumpy one.....

Yes indeed.  ;)

Boffin1

looking at the diagrams posted, you could start off a crude prototype with a glove with 5 microswitches at the base of each digit ( digit bent or straight ) and a contact at the end of the thumb and the tips of the fingers  for 6, 7, 8 ,and 9 .

You could use  10 " if"  statements  ( I am talking crude here )  the contacts would override the microswitch combinations  ?.

Lots of work to do, but it could be a start.

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Go Up