Go Down

Topic: Actuating a full size airplane (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

dmjedli

My race team and I are working on turning a Cessna 310 twin engine aircraft into a road race car. We've gutted the Cessna and shoved a Toyota Van wagon into it.  I'm working on getting the flight instrument panel to work with the ECM from the Toyota (tach / speed / temp), but that's not what I'm here for. On each side of the fuselage,  we have "winglets" that extend about 20 inches.  These winglets have the factory wing flaps attached.  We also have to put a small nose gear in so that if we brake hard, it stops the plane from flipping forward.

Functionally for the flap would follow like this:  Flap up indicator light is on.  Driver / Pilot / Racer pushes the existing flaps switch down.  Motor actuates the existing arm in the winglet and the flaps drop.  When the winglet flap starts to drop, a switch is released and the Flap up indicator turns off.  When the flap is all the way down, a switch is depressed and the flap down indicator is now lit.  Reverse it for bringing the flap up.

I've never used Arduino. Does this sound like something I should do with Arduino or have I turned into a nutter? Would Arduino just be overkill? I'm looking for guidance on the parts I would need, and eventually the programming.  I've done some programming (mainly modifying existing source code and recompiling), but nothing from scratch.

Thanks!

Shpaget

You should be able to do it with nothing but a couple of microswitches, each leading to its own LED.

dmjedli

So, I'd use those same switches as my cut-offs for the motor as well?  (Motor stops when flaps are up or down)

Shpaget

Oh, I was under the impression that you were going to use original controls for the flaps. Why not?

Microswitches can't handle currents required by such motors, but could be used to send the signal.

CrossRoads

The original Cessna did not use a uC, why add one now?
On single engine planes, like the C177, the original flap switches/limit switches under the panel I believe drive the motor directly, and do not drive a power transistor or something elsewhere up in the wing.
You can download a wiring diagram for the C310 and confirm. Or use an extension cord with your multimeter and confirm.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up