Go Down

Topic: Button Sequence question (Read 2222 times) previous topic - next topic

Not familiar with edge detection, do you mean just a state change detection?  If I used that, I would still need a slight delay on it, right?  I appreciate all the help, I'm an artist not an engineer, sometimes it's like reading chinese!  F.Y.I., the end goal is to build a box with a lid that looks like a Nintendo controller, and the box can only be opened by entering the Konami code, should be pretty awesome.

PaulS

Not familiar with edge detection, do you mean just a state change detection?

Yes.

If I used that, I would still need a slight delay on it, right?

Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on what you do after you detect a switch press.

I appreciate all the help, I'm an artist not an engineer, sometimes it's like reading chinese!  F.Y.I., the end goal is to build a box with a lid that looks like a Nintendo controller, and the box can only be opened by entering the Konami code, should be pretty awesome.

You probably want a small delay, then. About 10 milliseconds.

0AlphaOmega

Edge detection is close to what it sounds like - it's looking for the "edge" of a change. The change may be high to low, or low to high.

Basically, if the current state is Low, we are looking for a High, and vis versa.

In your case, for a single button, assuming a button press will drive the port High, and you do not want a repeat key function

Wait for a change to High, you can then pause for a few mS, to allow your button to settle (all electrical contacts tend to bounce. For high speed electronics, this bounce appears very slow and can look like several open/close events, so we wait for a small amount of time for the bounce to stop)
You then look at the port for a change to zero to occur (finger off), no need to denounce if you are off to do something else.
We now have a full button press.
For whom does the clock pulse? It pulses for you!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy