Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Bluetooth Piconet  (Read 1974 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I need to have 3 Arduinos and one smart phone connected via bluetooth. I know this is called a piconet. But i can't find any information on how to set up a piconet, what the requirements are etc. Some bluetooth modules on Ebay mention that they support piconets but that doesn't help much because i can't find further information.
Has someone an idea how to set up a piconet with 3 Arduinos (one of them should be the master) and one smart phone, has tips or a link to a web page that could help me?

Thanks in advance!

SF Bay Area, CA USA
View Profile

I'm currently talking from my Android phone to an Arduino Uno using the BlueSmirf Silver from Sparkfun.com http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10269.  Talking from an iPhone requires MFI certification and a custom chip that only certified MFI partners have access to.

The BlueSmirf (which is really a just a Real Networks RN42 with a 3.3v regulator and some status LEDs) has the ability to be a master or slave and swap roles dynamically.  I'm using basic serial communications, but it works at relatively high baud rates (I run 57,600 baud).  Other profiles are supported if you are so inclined.  The BlueSmirf board physically connects to the Uno with 4 wires (VCC, GND, Tx and Rx).  It is really simple to get working.  This should serve your purpose.

Three Arduino Unos, each with a BlueSmirf board attached can discover each other, pair, connect to one another, etc. using the time honored AT command set (from the modem days).  If you want longer range, the BlueSmirf Gold (if memory serves) uses the RN41 which has a stronger (i.e. Bluetooth Type I) radio.

-Mitch

View Profile

Three Arduino Unos, each with a BlueSmirf board attached can discover each other, pair, connect to one another, etc. using the time honored AT command set (from the modem days).

Thank you for your response. My Problem is not to connect the smart phone and one Arduino, the problem is what exactly i have to do to have a piconet between those 4 bluetooth "devices". Do you know the exactly AT commands so the master will receive messages from all the other arduinos + from the smart phone? What do i have to do to have a piconet?

SF Bay Area, CA USA
View Profile

I can't help much there, I'm only doing point-to-point communications.  You should take a look at the RN42 User Manual http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Wireless/Bluetooth/rn-bluetooth-um.pdf.  It provides documentation for the full AT command set.

I do know that you can layer TCP on top of Bluetooth.  Theoretically you could setup a socket server on your master have have your slaves talk via TCP.  I have no idea whether the RN42 supports that profile or how you would go about doing that without TCP support in the Arduino, etc.

-Mitch

View Profile

Did anyone find out which module works on "piconet mode" and how to configure it? thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: