new to the arduino

hello there

i have just bought a arduino uno R3 and i dont really understand how it all works

i am seeing if any one can help me though a few basic project and tasks to get my head round it.

i will need to be able to build a LED cube by the end of the year for a college desgin project so please could people point me in the right way please

thanks lamby209

i have just bought a arduino uno R3 and i dont really understand how it all works

The IDE comes with a whole load of examples. Try working through a few, then try modifying them to figure out how they work.

what is the IDE please

The application you downloaded onto your computer to allow you to edit, compile and upload software to your Arduino.

so when i download the programe and connect the adruino to the pc there are examples to run though on there ?

You don't need to have an Arduino to use the IDE, but obviously it has to be connected when you want to load new code on it.

There is a very useful set of "Getting Started" sections over at the Main Site

ok thanks i will try that out cheers

A really good place to start with Arduino is with youtube tutorials. Sciguy14 (Jeremy Blum) has several great Arduino tutorials and Derek Molloy (also on youtube) has some Arduino tuts as well. Searching "sciguy14" or "Derek Molloy" will get you to some of their videos, and then you can go to their channels and find the rest.

We've all been there before.. :slight_smile:

the Arduino platform is what I like to refer to as a development platform...

it has a lot of built in features and components to make quick/fast prototyping of circuits EASY!..

In a nut shell.. the Arduino has a Atmega328P microcontroller chip at its base... these chips have some built-in functionality that we can use for our projects... the Arduino platform breaks out these pins.. to pin headers so it is easy for use to connect external compoennts to the Arduino.

You then use the Arduino IDE (software/application) that is used to communicate with the hardware,.. and allows you to upload your code (called sketches) to the board..

the IDE is located here: (latest is IDE 1.0.3)

IDE:

Getting started with Windows Guide:

TronixStuff tutorials:

Jeremy Blum tutorials:

I would suggest getting familiar with the hardware a bit.. the terminology used (as it will help cut down on confusion when you see these same words/terms used over and over)

Common problems/errors people run into are: (IMHO)

1.) drivers for Arduino
2.) drivers for FTDI cable
3.) not selecting the correct board type in the IDE (tools >> board >>)
4.) not having the correct COM port selected (tools >> serial port >>)

I say download the software.. install everything you need to..

and hook up the Ardiuno Uno via USB cable.. (make sure settings are correct)

at this point you do not NEED any other external components to start 'playing'..

The Arduino comes (usually) with a built in LED on pin 13...

so you can stat playing with code and upload sketches right out of the box..

the normal one people start with is the default BLINK sketch..

form there analyze the code..and make a few changes.. upload the code again and see how the changes you made effect the led/Arduino..

good luck!

Check the 15 tutorials posted by Jeremy Blum on youtube. They cover a lot. From blinking LEDs to interfacing GPS modules.
https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CD4QtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DfCxzA9_kg6s&ei=JPoBUaG4N4WrrAfEhYCYCA&usg=AFQjCNGw4WGFxc0St4pTW5c3V7p_IRELbg

Also check out jeremyblum.com

I first learned with the book Getting started with Arduino by Massimo Banzi. Great book!