Go Down

Topic: Problem with sensing in Project 4 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Jan 23, 2013, 11:27 pm Last Edit: Jan 23, 2013, 11:31 pm by tkc108 Reason: 1
I am having a problem with project four. For some reason the sensors doesn't work and continiously show value 0. i checked manualy and the serial connection is established and the led shows different colours, if i manually preset them.

My code is:

const int greenLEDpin=9;
const int redLEDpin=10;
const int blueLEDpin=11;

const int redSensorPin=A0;
const int greenSensorPin=A1;
const int blueSensorPin=A2;

int redValue=0;
int blueValue=0;
int greenValue=0;

int redSensorValue=0;
int greenSensorValue=0;
int blueSensorValue=0;

void setup(){
  pinMode(greenLEDpin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(redLEDpin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(blueLEDpin, OUTPUT);

void loop(){
  redSensorValue = analogRead(A0);
  greenSensorValue = analogRead(greenSensorPin);
  Serial.print("Raw sensor values \t Red: ");
  Serial.print("\t Green: ");
  Serial.print("\t Blue: ");
  Serial.print("Mapped sensor values \t Red: ");
  Serial.print("Green: ");
  Serial.print("Blue: ");
  analogWrite(redLEDpin, redValue);
  analogWrite(blueLEDpin, blueValue);
  analogWrite(greenLEDpin, greenValue);

I noticed also that if I unplug cables from a0 and a1, the led goes red and blue, respectively. but if i unplug the a2, nothing happens.

I would be greatful for help. I must be not seeing some simple error.

I don't have the beginners kit, but working with several Arduino boards.

What do you have at the inputs to the analog pins ?
If the voltage level is static, you won't have any change visible until you apply a varying voltage manually.

Again a guess from me, but when you unplug A0 and A1 you are changing the chip I/O pin state manually so you see an indication.
Also, you seem to have a wiring issue: should not A1 signal a "green" input state ?

I believe you don't have a programming error, you are simply not interpreting the purpose of the project correctly

Thank you for the advices. I found out the problem. I looked at the board today during the day and i saw one of the cables was plugged in wrong. i did not see it last time in the book in the picture as it was evening and i did not spot it. i knew it is something silly. thanks again.

The breadboard diagrams are quite tricky to read, especially in the evening when most of us probably do this stuff. Maybe a clearer solid black mark on which hole each thing was in, or x,y coordinates, would help
Photography nut trying to make the flux capacitor of macro pho

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131