Go Down

Topic: Choosing MOSFET for 5meter led strip project (Read 603 times) previous topic - next topic

fil1p

Hey guys,

I have just recently joined the forum, but I have been using my Arduino Uno for a couple months already. I have a plan for a potential project in which I control a RGB led strip (anywhere from 1 meter long to 5m long (16ft)). I figure the best way for me to do this is to use three N Channel MOSFETs (one for each cathode of the RGB led strip). I heard that I need a logic level MOSFET, as I would like to control it directly from a PWM arduino Pin. Would such a set up work?

I have found this MOSFET on amazon, as I would to order all of my parts from there if possible:
http://www.amazon.com/microtivity-FQP30N06L-N-channel-Logic-MOSFETs/dp/B009LJPG0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358985782&sr=8-1&keywords=logic+level+mosfet

It is a FQP30N06L MOSFET, and I was wondering if this would work for controlling a RGB led strip.
Would I need a heat sink? Would the 5v of the arduino be able to switch/PWM a RGB strip?
Also I know that a breadboard is not optimal for such high currents, would a perfboard be ok?

Thanks in advance!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy